Can't fulfil essay word count

Watch
Aisha-s
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have this psychology essay with a word count of 2500, but I found myself finishing the essay at 1900 words, and I included 25 references and literally mentioned every possible answer to the question with critical analysis and what not. is it that bad if I don't have 2500 words?
Zamestaneh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How long is your intro and how long is your conclusion?
Aisha-s
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zamestaneh)
How long is your intro and how long is your conclusion?
intro- 300, outro-400
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wouldn't say so, I have never been marked down for being under the word count, remember it's a maximum word count; not a minimum, but then I do law and I doubt we go to the same university. Is this formative or summative?
Last edited by ROTL94; 1 week ago
Zamestaneh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Aisha-s)
intro- 300, outro-400
Hmm not bad

For the main body, did your points that you made keep referring back to the question, and did you follow the normal format of point-evidence-explain for everything you wanted to mention?
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Word counts are there for a reason. They say that if you are more than 10% under the word count then you haven’t answered the question fully enough.
In general either you haven’t made enough points, given enough evidence or provided a Pugh critical evaluation.
How many points do you have for the essay?
What is the question?
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 1 week ago
Aisha-s
Rep:
?
y

(Original post by Zamestaneh)
Hmm not bad

For the main body, did your points that you made keep referring back to the question, and did you follow the normal format of point-evidence-explain for everything you wanted to mention?
yes, I stuck to the question and always got back to it
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
TBH I think being concise is better then the same content + waffle.

But I would check if references are part of the word count etc. because if its not you could end up very short, and its possible their is room to expand your evidence or more detail in your discussion.
simon0
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Word counts are there for a reason. They say that if you are less than 10% away from the word count then you haven’t answered the question fully enough.
In general either you haven’t made enough points, given enough evidence or provided a Pugh critical evaluation.
How many points do you have for the essay?
What is the question?
Do you mean more than?
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by simon0)
Do you mean more than?
Yes I mean more than 10% under
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Aisha-s)
I have this psychology essay with a word count of 2500, but I found myself finishing the essay at 1900 words, and I included 25 references and literally mentioned every possible answer to the question with critical analysis and what not. is it that bad if I don't have 2500 words?
Hiya!

I have always used a rough guideline for 10-20% of the word count for my introduction and then 60-70% for my main body and then the remaining word count for my conclusions making sure that I give an overview of what was discussed and don't ever include any new points.

I would re read through your work and if you feel that any points don't have as much supporting evidence as your other main body points then try to add more to it. You can also send your work to your Study Support team who can offer another opinion about how strong your arguments are in your essay.

Sam- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (177)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (357)
29.31%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.87%
I'm not a current university student (593)
48.69%

Watched Threads