Me and my flatmate went out for dinner and had an argument over the bill

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello everyone

I went out for dinner with my flatmate.

I had a few drinks but not too many..just kept it casual.

I prob had like 4 wines and she had around 2 cocktails.

The bill came and it was 80 quid.

I said we should just split the bill and she said she wants to pay 30 and I pay 50 as I had more to drink.

I paid it reluctantly but as we were waiting for the taxi, which costs like 12 quid, I asked her if she can pay it as i paid more at the restaurant.

She told me no and that my attitude is really annoying and that we are gonna struggle to live together at this rate

I told her that she is too tight with money and a snob and to not be disrespectful.

I shouldnt have said this but I did also tell her that she will struggle to meet guys with how she is.

She has blocked me on WhatsApp and it's now super awkward..
Scottishlad888
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your flatmate is bang out of order you paid £50 she paid £30 for dinner and you paid the taxi £12 your total was £62 and hers was only £30 she is taking the micky out of you she would be no friend off mine l would block her on everything any other time you go out for dinner with a friend always ask for your own bill dont get everything on the one bill she must think you have MUG on your forehead she is very bold you are right no guy wants to take a thing like her out to dinner she would go for the highest priced item on the menu
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You had 4 drinks, she had 2.
Is that all you both had? (if so wth were yous drinking)
So yes, you pay for what you had.
The cab should have been split between the two of you.

Also how can you say “I shouldn’t have said this but” then you also said this other crappy thing...?

Next time you decide what you pay before you go out. Either split the bill or pay what you have...
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 6 days ago
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello everyone

I said we should just split the bill and she said she wants to pay 30 and I pay 50 as I had more to drink.

I paid it reluctantly but as we were waiting for the taxi, which costs like 12 quid, I asked her if she can pay it as i paid more at the restaurant.

She told me no and that my attitude is really annoying and that we are gonna struggle to live together at this rate

I told her that she is too tight with money and a snob and to not be disrespectful.

I shouldnt have said this but I did also tell her that she will struggle to meet guys with how she is.

If no formal arrangement was made over the bill beforehand you should have both just paid for your own crap and then split the taxi
SouthBridge24
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Boi u should pay for ur own stuff, should've priced up what your stuff was worth and what her's was then pay ur own way. No one should end up paying more in taxes than necessary as government really likes to screw u over with the alcohol tax it can make it real pricey.
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i agree with your flatmate. just because you paid more in the restaurant doesn’t mean she should automatically pay for the taxi. you had more at the restaurant than she did hence why you paid more. you equally shared the taxi so you should’ve split the taxi cost. simple really.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MadameRazz)
i agree with your flatmate. just because you paid more in the restaurant doesn’t mean she should automatically pay for the taxi. you had more at the restaurant than she did hence why you paid more. you equally shared the taxi so you should’ve split the taxi cost. simple really.
Two extra drinks does not cost £20
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Scottishlad888)
ooo idk about that matey boi, alcohol is expensive stuff u don't know what type of stuff they were consuming, the pricing can vary drastically.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
6 drinks should also not cost £80...

Pretty sure OP is in the wrong here. Unless money is no issue, I don't see why people should split the bill if one person is consuming extremely pricey things while the other isn't.

Splitting the taxi fair is completely fine. It's not the flatmate's fault if OP ordered so much and accrued an expensive receipt.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
6 drinks should also not cost £80...

Pretty sure OP is in the wrong here. Unless money is no issue, I don't see why people should split the bill if one person is consuming extremely pricey things while the other isn't.

Splitting the taxi fair is completely fine. It's not the flatmate's fault if OP ordered so much and accrued an expensive receipt.
People should pay there own bill from the outset
Adz2042
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Agree with others here.
Sadly you were out of pocket in this scenario.
Set a budget and only spend that.
She also got the taxi, so she should have contributed to her fair share of the taxi fare.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
People should pay there own bill from the outset
Exactly! :hat2:
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Adz2042)
She also got the taxi, so she should have contributed to her fair share of the taxi fare.
I think the flatmate did do this. The problem was that OP was demanding the flatmate pay the entirety of the taxi fare...
tetrisforaliens
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello everyone

Were you just guessing what you each bought? Surely you got a receipt. If the price is that different, sorry you have to pay for what you bought. You are not in a relationship.

Why should she have to pay for the taxi just because you spent more in the restaurant? The taxi should be split.

You have no right to say she will struggle to meet guys. They aren't all like you.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Apologies for the things you said and clear the air. It is painful going out with someone who is petty about money. If there is a next agree what’s what beforehand, best you just buy your own drinks really.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
This entire situation could have been avoided if you'd just paid for what you each had. It's not her fault you decided to have more drinks than her - that was your choice so you should account for what you actually had. Taxis should be split down the middle as you're both using it.

(I've been in this situation before but from the POV of the flatmate - went out with friends to celebrate a birthday at a fairly expensive restaurant, they all earned considerably more than me as I was a student at the time so I chose the cheapest thing off the menu and had one drink under the assumption that we'd all just pay for what we actually ordered ourselves but we ended up splitting it 6/7 ways, so I ended up paying £45 or something when my share was only about £30. It's annoying but I didn't want to say anything as it was my friends birthday. Oh well, a lesson learnt.)
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 6 days ago
spectrum84
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I agree with what everyone is saying there, u should pay for ur own drinks and pay half for the taxi.
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You are moaning that your flatmate did not want to foot your drinking and then you have the nerve to say she is not being financially prudent? Wth is wrong with you.
tinygirl96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
YABU partly here
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Your friend is in the right. If your drinks cost more money (and it sounds like it did from what info you've given us) then you pay your share. That should not influence how you split the cost of the next thing.

Best thing to do is admit you were in the wrong (for asking her to cover the taxi, and for what you said regarding her dating life) and apologise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.32%
I'm not sure (32)
4.18%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.48%
I'm not a current university student (376)
49.09%

Watched Threads