resetting sleep cycles?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I really struggle to go to bed before 3 am and wake up anything before 11. Would not sleeping at all for a day and then go to bed at 11 to wake up at 9 help?
TND
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Stay up right past 3am and go bed about 10pm later that day. Should break the cycle!
farazaksabir
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TND)
Stay up right past 3am and go bed about 10pm later that day. Should break the cycle!
That doesn't work because the adenosine (sleeping chemical basically) from the previous not sleeping day has still some accumulation. Basically, sleep gets rid of adenosine which is the chemical that makes you sleepy. But if you stay up you will have a lot of accumulation, then only sleeping a day after with only take away a days' worth of adenosine and you will still have some left and still feel sleepy. The only way is to wake up at the same time every day for at least 3 days regardless of what time you sleep, but try to sleep at the same time as the night before because this will orient your sleeping pattern properly. This will reset your circadian rhythm which resets your sleeping pattern and you will have to stay at this time of waking if you want to keep it.
farazaksabir
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I really struggle to go to bed before 3 am and wake up anything before 11. Would not sleeping at all for a day and then go to bed at 11 to wake up at 9 help?
Basically, sleep gets rid of adenosine which is the chemical that makes you sleepy. But if you stay up you will have a lot of accumulation, then only sleeping a day after with only take away a days' worth of adenosine and you will still have some left and still feel sleepy. The only way is to wake up at the same time every day for at least 3 days regardless of what time you sleep, but try to sleep at the same time as the night before because this will orient your sleeping pattern properly. This will reset your circadian rhythm which resets your sleeping pattern and you will have to stay at this time of waking if you want to keep it.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes, always works for me.
TND
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Worked for me, plenty times.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.42%
I'm not sure (59)
4.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (611)
48.69%

Watched Threads