Sick of the university culture

Watch
LolaMola
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey there!

3rd year BA student here, turning 22 in a few weeks. I came from EU to UK to get my degree and had pretty high hopes about everything. I ended up enjoying my degree for the most part, however, I am sick and tired of uni culture itself.
The drinking, the drugs, the hookups and overall dumb decisions are all I see from my peers. I'm not trying to pretend like I'm superior to everyone else but I just don't understand their behaviour. I guess, I thought I would meet more like-minded people who actually have career goals, aspirations and things that are more important than drugs and hookups. I had some taste of freedom back when I was in college but that period has been over for a while.
And now I just feel misplaced between these people. I don't consider frequent drunk hookups fun, prefer to chat over a cup of coffee instead of a cocktail and to be considerate when it comes to making noise past midnight.
I guess I'm just tired... tired of being forced to be around inconsiderate people who only care about numbing themselves in any way possible.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Which university do you go to?
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm quite scared of going to uni and being surrounded by a whole bunch of party people. Hopefully, it won't be too bad. I can't drink because of genetics, I can't hook up because I'm uncomfortable with that and I don't do drugs because I don't want to. I just have to surround myself with people who think like this. Not to say that there is anything wrong with having fun but, It's just not MY idea of fun. Good luck at uni btw!
Last edited by username5420160; 1 week ago
LolaMola
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr T 999)
Which university do you go to?
Bangor university. 👀 Can't escape the students in a small town.
LolaMola
Rep:
?
(Original post by Imhere2help)
I'm quite scared of going to uni and being surrounded by a whole bunch of party people. Hopefully, it won't be too bad. I can't drink because of genetics, I can't hook up because I'm uncomfortable with that and I have drugs because I don't want to. I just have to surround myself with people who think like this. Not to say that there is anything wrong with having fun but, It's just not MY idea of fun. Good luck at uni btw!
So glad I'm not alone in this.❤ For me at this point it's easier to befriend my lecturers than students.😅
TND
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why does it matter? Focus on your BA
LolaMola
Rep:
?
(Original post by TND)
Why does it matter? Focus on your BA
I guess to me it mainly matters because of housing. It's impossible to find a nice quiet place here without party loving students around. Or maybe I just haven't had the best of luck.
TND
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LolaMola)
I guess to me it mainly matters because of housing. It's impossible to find a nice quiet place here without party loving students around. Or maybe I just haven't had the best of luck.
Surely it's quieter than before corona?
LolaMola
Rep:
?
(Original post by TND)
Surely it's quieter than before corona?
It was alright over the summer but now the majority of students have returned. 😔 At this point I'd rather live around old people.😅
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Surround yourself with people who don't do that then. I've managed to get through two university degrees and not surrounded myself with people who do this. Those that do don't do it 24/7. If living in a quiet place without party loving students is the goal, then find a different part of town to live in?
LolaMola
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ramipril)
Surround yourself with people who don't do that then. I've managed to get through two university degrees and not surrounded myself with people who do this. Those that do don't do it 24/7. If living in a quiet place without party loving students is the goal, then find a different part of town to live in?
Easier said than done in a small town. 😕 I moved more times during my studies than I'd like to. I guess, it's always a hit or miss situation, even with me staying away from the areas students prefer the most.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (177)
14.51%
I'm not sure (56)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (357)
29.26%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.87%
I'm not a current university student (595)
48.77%

Watched Threads