The Student Room Group

Yr 12 help! (work experience)

hi, im currently in year 12 & i hope to apply for adult nursing next year! however im struggling to find work experience. i know a lot of opportunities are post poned due to covid but a lot of people have already signed up for volunteering & i feel like im at an disadvantage:frown:
my school hasn’t been much help for finding work experience so i was wondering if anyone here knows how i can find any health/care related opportunities! i would really appreciate!

thank you 😊
All applicants will be in the same position this year - here is the advice from the Medical Schools Council re. Medicine and the principles also apply to Nursing - https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2636/guidance-on-gaining-relevant-experience-for-studying-medicine-in-the-time-of-covid-19.pdf

You need to show in your PS that - you really do understand the realities of the job, ie. you deal with blood and vomit without flinching, that you understand that you cant cure everyone and its about 'care' (especially in 'end of life' care), and what that word means, that you can work very long hours and will just carry on regardless even when you are dog-tired, that you can deal with unreasonable people at 3am, and that you have the necessary physical emotional and physical resilience. And make sure you weave in the NHS Values into your examples of the above stuff - not just that you've read them - https://www.hee.nhs.uk/about/our-values/nhs-constitutional-values-hub-0
Reply 2
You won’t be at a disadvantage don’t worry. Most uni’s say that work experience in healthcare is desirable but not essential. I had none when I applied, and most others on my courses didn’t either!
Everything McGinger has said is spot on! You can use transferable skills from your college course, hobbies etc... look at those NHS Constitution Values & things like the 6Cs of Nursing and see what you can relate to these!
Also look at the Values Based Framework, this is what higher education establishments (HEEs) use/consider at interview to recruit student nurses :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending