The Student Room Group

Books to read before applying to study economics at Cambridge/LSE

What books should I read before applying to Cambridge or LSE to study Economics? Which books will look good on my personal statement and/or during discussion in the actual interview? Please recommend books which will help me learn more about the Economics and its applications in the real world.
Original post by dsds2009
What books should I read before applying to Cambridge or LSE to study Economics? Which books will look good on my personal statement and/or during discussion in the actual interview? Please recommend books which will help me learn more about the Economics and its applications in the real world.

i didn’t apply to cambridge or lse but am doing an economics joint honours at uni now and have read quite a few econ books:smile: ones i enjoyed were doughnut economics, dead aid, predictably irrational, anything by tim harford, the freakonomics books, nudge and the economist asks books:wink:
best of luck with your application! (and you don’t need to read loads of books to cram them in your personal statement! i only mentioned one book in mine, i read most of these because i enjoy learning about econ:woo:)
Not The Undercover Economist, Freakonomics or anything about game theory - they are so common to mention in PSs. But it doesn't matter too much about WHAT you read, it's more about how you write about it that matters
Reply 3
Original post by Interrobang
Not The Undercover Economist, Freakonomics or anything about game theory - they are so common to mention in PSs. But it doesn't matter too much about WHAT you read, it's more about how you write about it that matters

I see. If I were to mention them in my personal statement, can you please advise me on how I would integrate my knowledge about these books into my personal statement? Thank you
Original post by dsds2009
I see. If I were to mention them in my personal statement, can you please advise me on how I would integrate my knowledge about these books into my personal statement? Thank you

When talking about any book/online course etc. that you have done, you should focus on why they were interesting
Intermediate Microeconomics by Hal Varian is a very good introduction to university level Microeconomics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending