The Student Room Group

Medicine to Biomed

Can you change from medicine to biomed? I realised that I only wanted to do medicine because of my parents. So instead of doing another degree and starting from scratch, I could change to biomed. Is that possible?
Original post by navybluemug
Can you change from medicine to biomed? I realised that I only wanted to do medicine because of my parents. So instead of doing another degree and starting from scratch, I could change to biomed. Is that possible?

Are you already studying medicine? More details would be helpful.
Original post by Democracy
Are you already studying medicine? More details would be helpful.

I'm in my second year of Med.
I'm in my second year of Med.

I would talk to your tutor or supervisor. In general terms it should be possible (particularly as the academic year has only just started) but the sooner you talk to them the sooner they can advise you on the specifics and get the admin started.

As ecolier says you must be sure this is the right decision as medical schools generally don't accept former medical students.
I hope they bless me then lol. I know that it's not the career path for me, I only did because my parents were pressurising me. Most people just advised me to speak to my advisor. I emailed them this morning asking to have a meeting online, but they haven't responded.
Original post by Democracy
I would talk to your tutor or supervisor. In general terms it should be possible (particularly as the academic year has only just started) but the sooner you talk to them the sooner they can advise you on the specifics and get the admin started.

As ecolier says you must be sure this is the right decision as medical schools generally don't accept former medical students.

Dw I know it's not for me, I'm glad I won't be able to change back. My parents won't have any power then.
Dw I know it's not for me, I'm glad I won't be able to change back. My parents won't have any power then.

Good luck with it all :smile:
Thank you!

Are you doing this to spite your parents? Your tone seems to suggest that - apologies if I’m wrong. Why don’t you just talk to your parents and explain? I’m sure they will understand once they realise you are not happy. And think carefully before you change - do it for the right reasons.
Original post by APPLICANT2016
Are you doing this to spite your parents? Your tone seems to suggest that - apologies if I’m wrong. Why don’t you just talk to your parents and explain? I’m sure they will understand once they realise you are not happy. And think carefully before you change - do it for the right reasons.

You don't think I've tried? I wouldn't be doing this unless I had no option.
You don't think I've tried? I wouldn't be doing this unless I had no option.

In fairness, responders on here can only go on what you tell them, and the responder quite clearly raised it as a suggestion with a pre-emptive apology if they were wrong.

I would echo the above sentiments. If the course is really not right for you then moving on is a sensible thing. But given how difficult it would be to come back, anyone giving you advice would be doing you quite a disservice if they didn't make sure you knew what the exact repercussions of your choice are and check it isn't a knee-jerk reaction.

Absolutely nothing wrong with moving forward if your heart isn't in it though so I wish you all the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending