S.McQueen99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I have just recently decided to go to uni, I am 21 and have been out of education. I sadly dropped my two academic subjects (Biology and Maths), during A-levels. But I would love to do a degree that intertwines both subjects.I have been looking into Foundation years as my main option for uni, there are other options like Access to Higher Education courses. However, in my area there are only a limited range of courses to do. I am still having a struggle at which degree I wish to follow. All I know is that I'm very much eager to learn again!Is there anyone who has been in my position? Whats the best way to approach Foundation years and how could I put myself in good stead to get into a selected uni with the foundation year?
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The sort of subjects that uses both maths and biology (biology as a subject uses little to no maths) would include bioengineering, bioinformatics, and biomathematics. From what I have seen in access courses is that it's usually biology+physics, or biology+chemistry. There isn't an access course that I have seen in colleges that uses both biology and mathematics (there may be one in online colleges).

The best bet would be to do A Levels in Biology and Maths from online colleges (I recommend the third choice to be physics), as most offline colleges only accept students up to 19 years of age, as you may know. You can do an access course covering biology, then do an A Level in Maths on the side.

The foundation degrees are designed for students to progress onto their degrees, but as you have dropped your A Levels, I am not sure if you're eligible for student loans. As foundation degrees cost the same as one year of a bachelor's, you might struggle to pay £9k tuitition on your own. You might want to check your finances, eligibility for scholarships and bursary funding.

You might want to speak to some of the people in the biology and engineering fields regarding this first, should you not be sure of your career path.
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by S.McQueen99)
I have just recently decided to go to uni, I am 21 and have been out of education. I sadly dropped my two academic subjects (Biology and Maths), during A-levels. But I would love to do a degree that intertwines both subjects.I have been looking into Foundation years as my main option for uni, there are other options like Access to Higher Education courses. However, in my area there are only a limited range of courses to do. I am still having a struggle at which degree I wish to follow. All I know is that I'm very much eager to learn again!Is there anyone who has been in my position? Whats the best way to approach Foundation years and how could I put myself in good stead to get into a selected uni with the foundation year?
A Foundation Year could be a great option for you as they are specially designed for students who don't have the grades for direct entry onto an undergraduate course, those returning to study after a break, and those who are changing academic pathways.

Keele has a very long history of Foundation Year - when the university was first founded all our students used to take one! Although this is no longer a requirement, Foundation Year is still a really important part of our programme and we offer Foundation Year options for the majority of our degree programmes, including a number of science subjects. You can find out more at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/foundationyears/.

You might find it helpful to chat to one of our students who has undertaken a Foundation Year - Amit is now doing an MSc in Biomedical Science but previously studied a BSc Biochemistry with Foundation Year. He's one of our UniBuddy ambassadors so you can find out his experiences of Foundation Year - and how he prepared for that - by chatting to him at https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-uni...Position=share.

We also have some of our Foundation Year staff on Unibuddy - Kate Jury is the Head of our Science Foundation Year and her UniBuddy profile is https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-uni...b8e13ace3262f8.

Even if Keele isn't on your radar as a university, it might be helpful to talk to some students and staff involved in Foundation Year to get a sense of the best route for you so hope that helps!

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (95)
28.02%
No (244)
71.98%

Watched Threads