rort
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

I have tried to book a theory test date at 30 test centres all across Scotland and the north of England (i.e. all the centres offered to me based on my location) using the DVSA's online booking platform. The booking platform says there are absolutely no dates available for the period of October 2020 to January 2021 at any centre.

Has anyone else faced this issue? If this is truly the case, how are we meant to do theory tests and get our driving licenses?

Thanks in advance,
Rory
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rort)
Hi all,

I have tried to book a theory test date at 30 test centres all across Scotland and the north of England (i.e. all the centres offered to me based on my location) using the DVSA's online booking platform. The booking platform says there are absolutely no dates available for the period of October 2020 to January 2021 at any centre.

Has anyone else faced this issue? If this is truly the case, how are we meant to do theory tests and get our driving licenses?

Thanks in advance,
Rory
You're going to have to wait for dates to become available.
rort
Rep:
?
I think you are correct. It's insane how long the waiting time and queue is.

I've contacted Pearson (the people who run the centres) to get a confirmation on the situation. I am crossing my fingers that there is a cancellation. This is the best time for me to get my license.

Thanks for the help,
Rory
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rort)
This is the best time for me to get my license.
I dunno about that, you might have the free time but the DVLA in general is facing its biggest backlog ever since it was basically closed for several months straight, and it's not like there isn't generally a hefty wait at the best of times.

Gotta keep chasing the cancellations.
TND
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rort)
Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
Rory
Sorry to hear Rory, it is frustrating to wait so long. The three month time to wait was quite normal, mine was a 2 month wait 2 years ago this month.
rort
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
I dunno about that, you might have the free time but the DVLA in general is facing its biggest backlog ever since it was basically closed for several months straight, and it's not like there isn't generally a hefty wait at the best of times.

Gotta keep chasing the cancellations.
For me it is the best time as I am able to save some money for my driving. I have been lucky enough to be able to work from home and my living expenses have reduced by quite a lot. I want to take advantage of the situation whilst I can and get driving sorted. As you know, it can be expensive.

I don't want to sound like I'm winging though, I know this is a very hard time for the DVLA and everyone in general.

Thanks for the advice,
Rory
rort
Rep:
?
(Original post by TND)
Sorry to hear Rory, it is frustrating to wait so long. The three month time to wait was quite normal, mine was a 2 month wait 2 years ago this month.
Hi TND,

Thanks for the words, appreciate it!

Best,
Rory
TND
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rort)
Hi TND,

Thanks for the words, appreciate it!

Best,
Rory
You're welcome. I failed in the August (1 serious) then took loads of lessons and passed with zero faults in the October!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rort)
For me it is the best time as I am able to save some money for my driving. I have been lucky enough to be able to work from home and my living expenses have reduced by quite a lot. I want to take advantage of the situation whilst I can and get driving sorted. As you know, it can be expensive.

I don't want to sound like I'm winging though, I know this is a very hard time for the DVLA and everyone in general.

Thanks for the advice,
Rory
Oh I totally get that it's a good time for you to be doing it, just that in terms of trying to make bookings and appointments with the DVLA and test centres it's probably the worst time ever and long, almost silly sounding waits are to be expected. I haven't kept tabs on them the last month or so, but i'd be v surprised if they were back to normal levels of inefficiency this year.
rort
Rep:
?
(Original post by TND)
You're welcome. I failed in the August (1 serious) then took loads of lessons and passed with zero faults in the October!
Congratulations on passing!

I failed my first test just before university with 1 serious as well. I've been very busy since then but I'm now in my final year and want to make sure I'm ready for the real world
rort
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Oh I totally get that it's a good time for you to be doing it, just that in terms of trying to make bookings and appointments with the DVLA and test centres it's probably the worst time ever and long, almost silly sounding waits are to be expected. I haven't kept tabs on them the last month or so, but i'd be v surprised if they were back to normal levels of inefficiency this year.
Yes, you are right.

My best option is to just keep my eyes peeled on the new dates but also hope a cancellation will come through. Not much more I think I could do to be honest.

Thanks again,
Rory
TND
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When you pass it is a wondeful feeling. I was happy for many weeks.
rort
Rep:
?
(Original post by TND)
When you pass it is a wondeful feeling. I was happy for many weeks.
That's great to hear!

I think I will be happy for a long time when (or even if xD) I pass. I have been worried about driving for years now lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (449)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (547)
41%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (275)
20.61%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (63)
4.72%

Watched Threads