The Student Room Group

Does anyone know how to get a 9 in the english langauge paper 2 ?

I have always struggled with English language paper 2 and none of these youtube video's help cause they are all saying different things. Does a past grade 7-9 student have any insight into what they did?
Are you struggling more with the analysis side, or the creative side?
Reply 2
So for me,

Quesion 1 - select statements which are true, this should be relatively simple and try to not overthink it, if you see it in the text then it's probably correct don't try and infer too much.

Question 2 - writing a summary used to really confused me and I would always try to bring in techniques and my own views, but you don't do this. You should use evidence fro the text in the form of short quotes. The question will have a focus for you to base your summary on, pay attention to this as it will help you to skim read looking for main points. Aim to spend around 8-10 mins on this question.

Question 3 - is basically the same as question 2 on the lang paper 1, talking about how the writer uses language. Use quotes, language features and effect on the reader here.

Question 4 - comparisons, find similarities and differences within the two texts, and bring in structural features and langauge features, combine everything together here.

Question 5 - you need to commnunicate, clearly but also imaginatively, just because it is non fiction doesn't mean you shouldn't explore metaphors similies and creative ideas. Use extensive vocab, and vary your structure include some short sentences, one sentence paragraphs, a wide range of punctuation to control the reading of the text.

I really hope this was helpful and this is what I did for my GCSE's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending