The Student Room Group

Left out because I’m white

I go to a London RG university, QMUL to be precise, and it seems being a white british student is the minority, and I’m always excluded because of this. I get passed over for everything to do with the students as they want a black Muslim person to represent them, and talk down to people from outside of London all of the time. I’ve spoken about this to a friend from Canada in my halls and they agree that as they’re not black or religious that no one seems to like them. What do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Huh?
im sorry to hear this, i've felt the same for pretty much my entire life being an asian, muslim girl. England is a predominantly white country so i've been excluded.
Reply 3
lol
Somewhat related when I was at uni I remember our "international society" being only black Londoners (this was Northern England) they outright refused to take on other races, or white people who may of came from outside the UK and said it wasn't for them.

I found it pointless myself.
Reply 5
But it’s like, I’ve run for course rep and people said that they liked my application and my principles, but then it was almost instantly taken over by people joking about how Allah would want them to be the representative and ripped off MLK’s I have a dream speech, and decided to vote based on who was popular on the group chat that only seems to be used to share memes.
I'm British Indian (From the south) and I experienced racism at Manchester Uni.
But I've hardly heard anything down south. Race was only a problem in the northern areas
Original post by noturhabibti
im sorry to hear this, i've felt the same for pretty much my entire life being an asian, muslim girl. England is a predominantly white country so i've been excluded.

Sorry to butt in on OP's post but I noticed the colleges near me (in Scotland) are having a BAME talk saying there is underrepresentation of BAME lecturers and how this is a terrible inequality.

To me it just meant Scotland even more so than England has few migrants percentage wise rather than it being assumed to be an inequality which I found the assumption of to be racist, just as the assumption white people are automatically racist towards non white people racist too which the talk is focusing on.

I'd say its more people are uncomfortable with anything that is outside the norm, and people assume racism because of things like that, I said multiple times in the past that if I saw a gang of black youth on my estate loud and with agressive body language i'd be worried, but I would the same if I saw white youth the difference would be since my estate is more white Brits and Eastern European it would stand out as not normal so I'd worry a bit more but I have been told that assumption makes me "racist"

Just as if I felt uncomfortable as the only white person walking through a non white part of town and feeling like I stick out like a sore thumb i'd be called racist, but a non white person in a white area feeling the same is seen as because of racist white people! Either way the white people are the racists its the shame.

People should just focus on people as an individual, I do regardless of their race, gender, sexual identity, social background etc.
Original post by stickylikehoney
I'm British Indian (From the south) and I experienced racism at Manchester Uni.
But I've hardly heard anything down south. Race was only a problem in the northern areas

this really resonates w me bc my dad, also south indian, attended Manchester Uni in the 80-90s and also recieved a lot of racism. sending a lot of love, hope things will change
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Not trying to be a **** but the UK is predominantly white- of course, people would want minorities to represent them? How would it look if white people took the leadership roles of everything? How would minorities feel? I'm not saying you can't feel excluded but please for the first time white people aren't being given a pass or a free ticket for being white and you're complaining?

You want to be oppressed so bad lol.

I agree that white people shouldn't be taking up all the leadership roles. But excluding white people from those roles doesn't make it ok either. It should be equal
Not trying to be a **** but the UK is predominantly white- of course, people would want minorities to represent them? How would it look if white people took the leadership roles of everything? How would minorities feel? I'm not saying you can't feel excluded but please for the first time white people aren't being given a pass or a free ticket for being white and you're complaining?

You want to be oppressed so bad lol.

Im white myself, I was born with disabilities, quickly parents became poor due to becoming ill and poverty so bad at points they went without food, I went to roughest school in region the same school told me people from benefit backgrounds were lazy and would amount to nothing, gave free tuition to the middle class kids, grants for female students (who were mostly middle class in first place)

What is a minority to you? Race/sexuality only?

And as you say its a predominantly WHITE country, so of course we get more people in power being WHITE, now non white people are getting a free pass for their race which is bad for both white and non white people, theres a difference between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.
QMUL is like mini Pakistan. I went Mile End once, and was being engulfed with hijabis in my presence. Tower Hamlets as well.
Reply 12
I go to a London RG university, QMUL to be precise, and it seems being a white british student is the minority, and I’m always excluded because of this. I get passed over for everything to do with the students as they want a black Muslim person to represent them, and talk down to people from outside of London all of the time. I’ve spoken about this to a friend from Canada in my halls and they agree that as they’re not black or religious that no one seems to like them. What do I do?

Although I believe that this is how you see it, it's difficult to believe that this is really how it is at QMUL.
That's the little secret about white privilege.. its 90% made up of majority bias and legacy wealth, and only 10% racism..

If your in a university that is majority non-white, then majority bais is gone, and will likely even work against you.. all those nice cushy advantages are gone with it, and as far as legacy-wealth goes, for the time your a student unless your parents are bankrolling you it doesn't make a difference, so all of your 'privilege' evaporates really quick. Within the university that is, take a weekend, go back to the country, and enjoy that sweet comforting majority bias again..
Original post by jas149
I agree that white people shouldn't be taking up all the leadership roles. But excluding white people from those roles doesn't make it ok either. It should be equal

agreed!

Original post by drbluebox
Sorry to butt in on OP's post but I noticed the colleges near me (in Scotland) are having a BAME talk saying there is underrepresentation of BAME lecturers and how this is a terrible inequality.

To me it just meant Scotland even more so than England has few migrants percentage wise rather than it being assumed to be an inequality which I found the assumption of to be racist, just as the assumption white people are automatically racist towards non white people racist too which the talk is focusing on.

I'd say its more people are uncomfortable with anything that is outside the norm, and people assume racism because of things like that, I said multiple times in the past that if I saw a gang of black youth on my estate loud and with agressive body language i'd be worried, but I would the same if I saw white youth the difference would be since my estate is more white Brits and Eastern European it would stand out as not normal so I'd worry a bit more but I have been told that assumption makes me "racist"

Just as if I felt uncomfortable as the only white person walking through a non white part of town and feeling like I stick out like a sore thumb i'd be called racist, but a non white person in a white area feeling the same is seen as because of racist white people! Either way the white people are the racists its the shame.

People should just focus on people as an individual, I do regardless of their race, gender, sexual identity, social background etc.

people are definitely uncomfortable with anything out of the norm. a lot of white people would feel intimidated to walk past a group of young, black people which is unacceptable as they would be making false assumptions. yes, if they seemed like they had weaponry with them, it is fair to feel intimidated. likewise, a group of young, white people would not be judged even if they did have weapons with them. its ridiculous!
Well duh black people want to be represented by another black. How would you feel if a black person wanted to represent the white race? They would not be relatable to the community and the community would not take that person seriously. A white person can't understand black struggles.
Reply 16
I get passed over for everything to do with the students as they want a black Muslim person to represent them, and talk down to people from outside of London all of the time.

Do you have some examples which you can share?
this really resonates w me bc my dad, also south indian, attended Manchester Uni in the 80-90s and also recieved a lot of racism. sending a lot of love, hope things will change

Ism's exist everywhere, if we narrow them down then its counter productive as it assumes the person who is bad, is purely just racist/sexist/homophobic rather than just a bigot who hates everyone, it means the person who is "different" sees the reason they are getting abuse purely because of their "difference" which means they make assumptions.

Im Scottish for example, I used to get abuse just over the border for doing so even to point of violence, I remember a clear example where a Scottish guy dared to wear a Scotland t shirt in Cumbria and was scarred for life when a gang of youth hit him with bricks, the local papers response "it was his fault for daring to wear a Scotalnd shirt in England" no sympathy, yet the SAME paper whenever England was in a international sporting event whinged about how racist the Scottish people were and how English people were respectful!
Original post by fallen_acorns
That's the little secret about white privilege.. its 90% made up of majority bias and legacy wealth, and only 10% racism..

If your in a university that is majority non-white, then majority bais is gone, and will likely even work against you.. all those nice cushy advantages are gone with it, and as far as legacy-wealth goes, for the time your a student unless your parents are bankrolling you it doesn't make a difference, so all of your 'privilege' evaporates really quick. Within the university that is, take a weekend, go back to the country, and enjoy that sweet comforting majority bias again..

Excuse me but I don’t hide in privilege. White privilege isn’t even a thing it’s working class white boys that are failing academically not black people.
Businesses want to represent diversity and i wish it was just random or not based on stuff about you i guess :/

Latest

Trending

Trending