riorio33
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I want to study computer science at university, I need to take a foundation year since I didn't pick A-level Maths. My question is, as someone who wants to go into software engineering, is a BSc in Computer Science better than a BEng in Software Engineering?
lunacentral1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by riorio33)
So I want to study computer science at university, I need to take a foundation year since I didn't pick A-level Maths. My question is, as someone who wants to go into software engineering, is a BSc in Computer Science better than a BEng in Software Engineering?
Since you can be a software engineer with a computer science degree, I would do that i think
riorio33
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by lunacentral1)
Since you can be a software engineer with a computer science degree, I would do that i think
That is true and I have heard that somewhere else as well, just a little concerned about the practicality of computer science degrees, as I very much want to continue coding as well as learning theory.
lunacentral1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
That is true and I have heard that somewhere else as well, just a little concerned about the practicality of computer science degrees, as I very much want to continue coding as well as learning theory.
Ah yeah i get u- what a levels did u do + which courses r u looking at?
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Not having A Level Maths doesn't mean you need to do a Foundation Year. Plenty of unis don't have Maths as a requirement and you'd be able to start First year, assuming you otherwise did meet their requirements.

If you 100% know you want to do Software Engineering, there's an argument for studying it specifically. However CompSci traditionally offers more flexibility. In some cases, there's a very fine line between Software Engieering and CompSci, with many CompSci degrees heavily emphasising things like Programming, Algorithms and of course Software Dev. I'd also say on the whole having a bit of grounding knowledge in computer systems in general (basic networking, operating systems, architecture, etc.) will be useful in Software Dev. You're more likely to get that from a CompSci degree than Software Engineering.

Personally for any Software Engineering course I'd recommend looking at what that uni offers in terms of CompSci. If the CompSci syllabus is radically different (typically meaning it's far more broad) then it makes sense to offer both degrees. If they're pretty similar, I'd strongly question why they need two different degrees. At the end of the day, software development is one of the most common jobs a CompSci graduate will find themselves in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.63%
Uncertainty around my education (195)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (141)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (181)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (57)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.65%
Loneliness (112)
8.78%
Financial worries (45)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (117)
9.18%

Watched Threads