Application to two courses at the same uni

Watch
username5168234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’m applying (well, have applied) to study history with a year abroad at UCL as i am adamant about studying away and it is a separate course at UCL unlike my other choices where you can just apply to go away in your second year. i also just would love to study at UCL anyway and want to apply for just straight history too, but i don’t know how admissions tutors might look upon this and i don’t want it to harm my original application. i have emailed admissions directly but haven’t had a response yet and im getting anxious that i’m running out of time to change my options. will applying to two history courses (the same course one is study abroad) hinder how admissions tutors view my application at UCL. thanks!
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did put down two courses at Stirling on Ucas application, they both interested me such that I felt I needed to. I received one single offer from all my 5 choices, scary. (Some just timed out rather than rejection...)
But. 1 offer
It was from Stirling and one of the courses that I wanted, and they added an unusual paragraph or two to my offer, dire threats about how it would be ‘illegal’ to ever try to change course to the other option.

UCL is however probably one of the ‘pickier’ UK unis, having rejected amazingly well qualified friends of mine, I-know not why, so try and make a single choice, keep it simple

Plus, if you get in for Hist+ travel , you *could* change, whilst with my double application, I was *banned*
Last edited by LuigiMario; 1 month ago
username5168234
Rep:
?
(Original post by LuigiMario)
I did put down two courses at Stirling on Ucas application, they both interested me such that I felt I needed to. I received one single offer from all my 5 choices, scary. (Some just timed out rather than rejection...)
But. 1 offer
It was from Stirling and one of the courses that I wanted, and they added an unusual paragraph or two to my offer, dire threats about how it would be ‘illegal’ to ever try to change course to the other option.

UCL is however probably one of the ‘pickier’ UK unis, having rejected amazingly well qualified friends of mine, I-know not why, so try and make a single choice, keep it simple

Plus, if you get in for Hist+ travel , you *could* change, whilst with my double application, I was *banned*
thanks! that’s why i’m asking is because they are quite high ranking, but i’m more concerned that they won’t offer me either places because i’ve read a few times that applicants who apply to two courses at the same uni come off as unsure in what they want to do and therefore are rejected
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by loladaviess)
thanks! that’s why i’m asking is because they are quite high ranking, but i’m more concerned that they won’t offer me either places because i’ve read a few times that applicants who apply to two courses at the same uni come off as unsure in what they want to do and therefore are rejected
Unless your personal statement is too broad for either course, they won’t care that you’ve applied for two programmes.
username5168234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Unless your personal statement is too broad for either course, they won’t care that you’ve applied for two programmes.
thank you! they’re both the same course one is just an extra year
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could just email them at [email protected] and explain that you've applied to both and would be delighted to study either but that your preference is for a year abroad.
MadMathsMum
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Contact the admissions dept at UCL and ask them. These kind of issues are often addressed at open days when tutors may advise specifically or would be able to answer questions.
My son was looking at Geography courses last year and the unis he chose said that year abroad/ year in industry options could be reviewed and switched between once in the School. They advised that he did not need to use another choice to select the variants of the same course.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This person has already applied. If it’s within 14 days they should be able to swap a choice.
090o0
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It probably won’t hurt your application, you’re unlikely to be the only person applying for the year abroad option and the standard history degree if that’s the only way you can get a study abroad option.
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My daughter applied last year to lancaster for Physics and astrophysics as 1 choice, and Physics, particle physics and cosmology as the other choice, and Physics is a highly popular and regarded subject there. Not a problem choosing two choices relatable. Its when you choose subjects which are different example: politics v sports science

You love both courses, and you love the uni. It doesnt come across as indecisive. It comes across as keen and enthusiastic about history, and although you would the study abroad more, you would very happily take the other course if the study abroad option was over subscribed and not available.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (130)
28.51%
No - I have already returned home (62)
13.6%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (89)
19.52%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (42)
9.21%
No - I live at home during term anyway (133)
29.17%

Watched Threads