University is overrated ?

Watch
SchmuckOff
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
After researching alternative pathways I feel like uni is overrated?

Anyone agree
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends really.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it can be.
Obviously it's necessary for certain careers e.g. teaching, doctor etc etc.
But I think some people think it's the be all and end all and you won't get anywhere without uni. You can get quite a few decent jobs without uni. And uni doesn't guarantee you a good job.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think there's definitely a social/rite of passage aspect to going to uni, especially among more well off families. Its not just about earnings.

Which is why those who go to uni should pay for it, rather than the BS system we have currently.
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SchmuckOff)
After researching alternative pathways I feel like uni is overrated?

Anyone agree
Yes. Going to university is probably one of the most overrated and useless things you can possibly do.

You should only go to university for three main reasons:-

REASON 1: YOU GO TO UNIVERSITY BECAUSE YOU NEED A DEGREE TO DO YOUR JOB.

This is the most obvious reason to go to university. If you wanna be a teacher, lawyer, architect, doctor, nurse etc you should go to university to do the job you want to do.

REASON 2: YOU GO TO UNIVERSITY BECAUSE YOU ARE NATURALLY ACADEMIC/ENJOY SCHOOL/EDUCATION

If you’re naturally academic and enjoy school/education chances are you’ll go to university and get stuck in and make a success of your degree.

REASON THREE: YOU GO TO UNIVERSITY BECAUSE YOU ARE INCREDIBLY PASSIONATE ABOUT YOUR SUBJECT

When I mean passionate I mean you’ve got to absolutely adore it. If you are really passionate about your subject realistically you’ll probably make a success of university just because you really like your subject.

It’s worth noting that most things you learn at university you can probably just Google anyway.

Finally OP, i’m guessing you’re 16/17. I’m a fair bit older than you, and I know hundreds of people who regret going to university. I’ve never met anyone who says they regret not going to university. Think about that. Best of luck in your career.
Last edited by Thisismyunitsr; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads