Cupcake21T
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello there, I’m going to be applying to uni very very soon but I’m just a bit stuck on what course I should choose. Right now I’m studying Geography, English Lit and Sociology and was thinking to go on to do something geography related at uni as it interests me. However, most courses such as environmental science teach about other sciences like biology and chemistry which I’m not very good at so will this affect my performance? Are there any other geog related course that I can do that don’t involve biology and chemistry?

I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know. Also, if anyone has any experience please share it!
confuzzledteen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Human Geography Bsc?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Trust your gut instinct here. Make brief summary notes on each possible university and what it has to offer you etc. Find out as much detail as possible. Look at the websites of each university, talk to some of the other students or teachers, and do read the official prospectus as well. Also make sure to take a few quality pictures if possible. Read beyond the lines when visiting. What is good about that uni? What is not so good? Discuss the courses and also learn what to expect. The website has a lot of good information that will answer your questions. Filter the results to find only the geography qualifications.
archivalzebra
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cupcake21T)
Hello there, I’m going to be applying to uni very very soon but I’m just a bit stuck on what course I should choose. Right now I’m studying Geography, English Lit and Sociology and was thinking to go on to do something geography related at uni as it interests me. However, most courses such as environmental science teach about other sciences like biology and chemistry which I’m not very good at so will this affect my performance? Are there any other geog related course that I can do that don’t involve biology and chemistry?

I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know. Also, if anyone has any experience please share it!
Economics? Basically human geography with a bit of maths. Or just human geography? The only problem with doing just human is that human and physical geography are interrelated in almost every way so you might as well just take geography (I’m not an expert though - there may be an much larger advantage for just taking just human). You could also look at land economy and town planning.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on what aspects of geography appeal to you. On the "human geography" side, most social sciences relate in some respects; anthropology, sociology, economics, politics, history, etc. They won't all focus in the same way on the same range of issues but broadly they are all considering similar areas from different perspectives. On the "physical" side it will as you note skew to the science side of things; pretty much any of the very wide range of courses that would fall under the umbrella of "earth sciences" primarily, and also potentially a course that is more or less wholly focused on ecology and/or conservation.

One subject that encompasses aspects of both the "human" and "physical" sides of geography in a way is archaeology. It also considers how humans form and exist in various social structures, how they interact with their environments, and are affected by the environments themselves. Archaeology also often offers the chance to study aspects of GIS, which is less common for courses other than geography and earth sciences focused courses. The major difference is of course while geography focuses more generally on the contemporary world, archaeology focuses on historical and prehistorical eras. However it's also commonly offered in conjunction with anthropology, which then bridges the gap somewhat more to contemporary human culture, society, and how humans continue to interact with their environments (except very broadly over natural, built, and digital environments, potentially).

So archaeology and/or anthropology might be an interesting possibility to explore a bit more. If not then you would probably be interested in some social science course more generally. However if you fundamentally really enjoy geography, there's no reason to not just continue with that! There are plenty of geography degrees across the UK, some balancing the physical and human sides and others skewing one way or another, so you'll have plenty of choice in finding one that should fit your interests.
Bethparkerr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you search for geography Ba courses (I know Manchester has one), it tends to be human geography, with much less science than physical geography/geography BSc courses
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Human Geography :
* https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/...raphy-bsc-hons
* http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...geography.aspx

International Development :
* https://www.uea.ac.uk/about/school-o...al-development
* http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...development-ug

Population Geography
* https://www.southampton.ac.uk/course...phy-degree-bsc
Geography and Sociology
https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/cour...d-sociology-ba
mahrap
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Population and Geography at Southampton is a great choice - no physical geography elements but still enough stats to count as a BSc, you also can choose optional modules from different subjects (like sociology or English).
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Hi @Cupcake21T,

I hope you are well during these unprecedented times,

I am glad you are considering a geography related degree.

There are different avenues you go down, for example, you could possibly look for a Physical Geography Degree which accepts Geography as ‘the’ science subject,

For example, the University of Huddersfield offers a Physical Geography degree course where at least a C is required in Geography- which is an accepted science subject. I am currently studying BSc(Hons) Geography- weighting towards Physical Geography modules. We do have some elements of biology and chemistry in labs- which is a great experience to have. But then we focus the subject back on Social, Economic, Environmental, and political. This may be a good compromise if you want that experience of labs and practicals without the requirement of Science A Levels. Just as an, FYI I did not take A Level Chemistry and didn’t do too well In A Level Biology either however, with good amount of reading and great support from your lectures it can become easier to understand.

On the other hand, you could go down the route of Human Geography, or combining your two A Levels Sociology and Geography if that is something you enjoy- both are offered at the University of Huddersfield.

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

Human geography
physical geography
human and physical geography
geology
geology and physical geography

all common uni courses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (31)
33.7%
No - I have already returned home (9)
9.78%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (21)
22.83%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (6)
6.52%
No - I live at home during term anyway (25)
27.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed