How likely is that chemical engineers are paid higher than doctors?

Watch
Sha.xo527
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My maths teacher - who has a son working as a chemical engineer- told me chemical engineers can get paid more than doctors. Of course i told him how is that even possible, and he replied with it depends on where you work, for what company, in which industry (e.g. oil), etc.
How likely is that?
confuzzledteen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is possible. I'm sure that there are a handful of chemical engineers (especially those who own their own companies) that earn millions, loads more than a doctor would. However, comparing the average chemical engineer & the average doctor - the latter is likely to earn more. It's just that in every profession, there are bound to be "winners" & those who earn crazy amounts.. But if you're comparing the average salary of a doctor to the average salary of a chemical engineer, obvi the doctor earns more. So I guess yes, it is likely but the chances of becoming that successful of a chemical engineer (hence earning that much) are slim due to immense competition & few positions.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On average, medicine graduates earn a fair bit more. That is pretty well established - google for the average numbers.

But sure I absolutely believe that there are industry jobs out there that pay more.

Also bear in mind that as medicine is so much longer, the comparison of pay should work a little differently if you want to be rigorous. Comparing 1st year after graduation wages straight would make very little sense for example - as by the time the doctor graduates the chemical engineer may have been in work for 2-3 years.
Sha.xo527
Rep:
?
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
It is possible. I'm sure that there are a handful of chemical engineers (especially those who own their own companies) that earn millions, loads more than a doctor would. However, comparing the average chemical engineer & the average doctor - the latter is likely to earn more. It's just that in every profession, there are bound to be "winners" & those who earn crazy amounts.. But if you're comparing the average salary of a doctor to the average salary of a chemical engineer, obvi the doctor earns more. So I guess yes, it is likely but the chances of becoming that successful of a chemical engineer (hence earning that much) are slim due to immense competition & few positions.
Cheers!
Sha.xo527
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
On average, medicine graduates earn a fair bit more. That is pretty well established - google for the average numbers.

But sure I absolutely believe that there are industry jobs out there that pay more.

Also bear in mind that as medicine is so much longer, the comparison of pay should work a little differently if you want to be rigorous. Comparing 1st year after graduation wages straight would make very little sense for example - as by the time the doctor graduates the chemical engineer may have been in work for 2-3 years.
One question, what do you do to become that chemical engineer that earns more than a doctor would?
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sha.xo527)
One question, what do you do to become that chemical engineer that earns more than a doctor would?
Get high up in a big firm and sell cocaine on the side.
Sha.xo527
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ramipril)
Get high up in a big firm and sell cocaine on the side.
Ok
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sha.xo527)
Get chartered for a start https://www.icheme.org/media/8667/lc...8-v5-final.pdf

I would hope that wealth wouldn't be the primary motivation for either medicine or engineering but many of the richest people in the world started out by studying engineering https://interestingengineering.com/2...ngineers-world
Last edited by Compost; 1 month ago
Sha.xo527
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Get chartered for a start https://www.icheme.org/media/8667/lc...8-v5-final.pdf

I would hope that wealth wouldn't be the primary motivation for either medicine or engineering but many of the richest people in the world started out by studying engineering https://interestingengineering.com/2...ngineers-worldT
Thank you so much! And it's my 5th motivation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (136)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.6%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.46%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.41%
No - I live at home during term anyway (139)
29.08%

Watched Threads