The Student Room Group

Applying to oxbridge

I am taking maths, physics and computer science. I am doing well in my classes. I want to do electrical and electronic engineering at Cambridge or imperial. Should I take further maths and will I be able to catch up if I start now?
You could try doing an AS, doing four subjects for full A level for two years is apparently a LOT of work.
AS further is ok as long as you like it enough. I’m doing further A level and in terms of work load it IS an A level, not just an ‘extra’.
*I don’t know anything about oxbridge by the way, I don’t want to go there so good luck!!!
And if you study harder for a bit you’ll probably be able to catch up I would say.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Engineerbot546
I am taking maths, physics and computer science. I am doing well in my classes. I want to do electrical and electronic engineering at Cambridge or imperial. Should I take further maths and will I be able to catch up if I start now?

Cambridge only offer general Engineering ... what does Imperial require?
I would highly recommend that if you're wanting to go to one of the top universities for engineering that you do Further Maths A level- most candidates definitely will be doing. For Cambridge, I believe its basically a given that you do it. You can definitely catch up if you work hard I believe. :smile: Good luck
Original post by Engineerbot546

I would say probably yes if you are motivated. FM can be useful especially for Cam rather than Ox.
Research is key here as much as possible. Visit the university website to find out more information that will help you make a decision first of all. Make some brief notes and also ask good questions of current staff and students.
Request a brochure or order a up to date university prospectus. Look at the clubs and view social events in addition, as this is also important as well. What course appeals to you personally? When you have finally picked one course do not alter your mind.
Narrow down your course options one by one slowly. Pick up a map of the university. Trust your gut impression as far as possible. Remember to get up to date lecturer contact information in advance and do not forget to honestly discuss any extra support needs that you might have up front. Explore the whole place carefully.

Quick Reply

Latest