car tax Watch

This discussion is closed.
MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
since DVLA kno wether a car is taxed or not, why do we have to display tax discs on the front window?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So the police and other authorities know. Its much easier for the police to spot a dodgy car then. They police can't check with the DLVA every time they spot somthing may be slightly fishy with the car, the tax disc is used for one of them give aways.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought about this a couple months ago. Just another scheme to give the police something else to do/waste money on
planetzod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Until recently the DVLA did not have a car tax database, so the tax disc was the only way of proving you had paid tax. You didn't used to have to register your car as 'off the road' to not pay tax: you just didn't buy a tax disc.

Now they have the database, they still need tax discs otherwise you could just say your car was off the road and they wouldn't know any better. But if the police see you out with no tax disc you will be caught
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But why should the police be checking if you have tax or not if the DVLA database will automatically fine you if you don't.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
had to pay £15 road tax this year. shocking
Flicker
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Luize)
But why should the police be checking if you have tax or not if the DVLA database will automatically fine you if you don't.
because many cars that don't have road tax are often also breaking other laws - insurance, theft etc.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
only £15??!?!?! Mine is £130!! :eek:

I assume you have some kind of motorbike or something?
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
Woah! How come? (I had to pay £125 I think.)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (624)
80.72%
Leave (149)
19.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise