The Student Room Group

Would an arrest (nfa) and an interview (also nfa) come up on an enhanced DBS check?

Hi Guys!

I’m looking at a career change from Law to Midwifery and I was wondering if an arrest for assault would come up on a DBS check? I do not have any cautions or convictions and the arrest was around 9 years ago. Also, I have assisted police with an investigation that resulted in no further action (6 years ago) and I wondered if that would come up too. I have done a subject access request and the custody record and interview were included allbeit the interview was heavily redacted. I dont want to go to the effort of doing all the training if it turns out I’m not suitable for the degree 😓

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks everyone 😊
Original post by louichel2
Hi Guys!

I’m looking at a career change from Law to Midwifery and I was wondering if an arrest for assault would come up on a DBS check? I do not have any cautions or convictions and the arrest was around 9 years ago. Also, I have assisted police with an investigation that resulted in no further action (6 years ago) and I wondered if that would come up too. I have done a subject access request and the custody record and interview were included allbeit the interview was heavily redacted. I dont want to go to the effort of doing all the training if it turns out I’m not suitable for the degree 😓

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks everyone 😊

It will 100% show up. If you’re applying to any healthcare-related programme they vet you with a fine-tooth comb. Best contact potential unis for advice?
Original post by Joviality
It will 100% show up. If you’re applying to any healthcare-related programme they vet you with a fine-tooth comb. Best contact potential unis for advice?

I don't think that that is necessarily true. Your arrest would be classed as police 'intelligence' so would only be revealed on the DBS if it was deemed 'relevant'. Op hasn't committed an offence.

OP, look up the charity 'unlocked' for futher advice.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Mine didn't. The police use their discretion for it, so it's hard to answer
Reply 4
Please I was framed for a physical assault which I reported to the local authorities and then my employer got angry and referred me to dbs which later I was sent a no action letter will it show on my dbs
Reply 5
Over 17 years ago I was arrested and received a police caution for ABH after defending myself in a nightclub and the instigator admitting to the wrong doing.
I can 100% confirm that ANY specific offence will show on your enhanced DBS.
Unless you have committed theft or fraud then your chances are good that you'll get you place at uni.
One of the main concerns at uni is employability post qualification and I can attest that this does not stop you from working in healthcare as I work within NHS currently.
Be honest about your cautions and convictions. When they ask for more info be honest and upfront with everything as they are looking for your honesty and accountability with your previous actions, any contributing factors will be considered. This is more of an inspection of your current character and not who you used to be etc.
How this help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Erflow
Over 17 years ago I was arrested and received a police caution for ABH after defending myself in a nightclub and the instigator admitting to the wrong doing.
I can 100% confirm that ANY specific offence will show on your enhanced DBS.
:smile:

The thing here is that the OP isn't asking about cautions or convictions, but about an arrest.
Reply 7
Original post by Robert Dyas
The thing here is that the OP isn't asking about cautions or convictions, but about an arrest.

A caution and/or conviction comes from being arrested. OP stated that he was arrested for assault, which will show if it's a specific offence as police can issue this.
Reply 8
Original post by Erflow
A caution and/or conviction comes from being arrested. OP stated that he was arrested for assault, which will show if it's a specific offence as police can issue this.

An arrest doesn't necessarily mean that a crime/offence was committed. Moreover, an arrest isn't necessarily followed by a conviction or caution.
Reply 9
Original post by Robert Dyas
An arrest doesn't necessarily mean that a crime/offence was committed. Moreover, an arrest isn't necessarily followed by a conviction or caution.

OP stated " I was wondering if an arrest for assault would come up on a DBS check?" As such, the arrest for an assault would/could be listed as a 'specific' offence which leads to a police caution lasting 99 years for something like ABH. No one is saying that an arrest ALWAYS leads to a conviction etc. What I stated was that the caution/conviction follows on from an arrest.
Reply 10
Just looking at this thread and wanted to say that Erflow's comments are completely nonsensical - OP, what happened?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending