Too much reading at uni!

Watch
Hxlly078
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am taking 6 modules currently in my first year of uni. All of those classes are setting us reading outside of class to compliment the lecture. The reading and note taking of each chapter takes me hours and I simply don’t have the time! Does anyone have any tips on speeding up the process

username5422752
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi.

When lecturers say “read” - try skim instead, honestly I would never expect my students to everything word-by-word at all as some chapters for journals have 50–100 pages! Try skim reading and making summary notes for each chapter. Makes it a bit easier.

Dr Adams
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I don't know what subject you are reading, but it sounds like you're trying to do too much. Unless they are absolutely key readings, there is no need to read all of something throroughly and analyse it line by line. A lot of the time, skim it, get the gist of it - understand the argument and move on. Take notes on what you believe the important points to be.

For example, if you are taking a politics module, and one the readings is Pericles Funeral Oration - there is no need to read it over and over and make annotations for each line. All you need to really know is - where and when it comes from; and what Pericles is saying in precis about the nature of governance. The deeper understanding would come in a tutorial when you discuss the ideas around it.

If you are taking a law module - you don't need to understand every detail of a case - just what the key facts were, what the decision was and the rationale behind it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7.17%
October 2021 (116)
48.95%
November 2021 (23)
9.7%
December 2021 (31)
13.08%
January 2021 (21)
8.86%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (22)
9.28%