should you take any job when unemployed?

Watch
Kovacic93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I graduated (master) last October and since then I was not able to find employment. I took a break from October until January, I went back to Italy to stay a bit with family and friends. Came back and had some interviews that did not go as hoped for, then Covid19 came along and ruined the economy. Now I applied for some tesco/asda jobs but never heard from them, even tho I've worked in the customer service industry when I was studying. So, I started calling agencies that advertised jobs, and it seems that they will allow me to work. Have to say that the job is warehouse operative, and i'm worried that this will damage my cv.

So, i'm asking someone more experience or even an employer how do they see people taking more "humble" jobs? and how would you explain it?

Thank you
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kovacic93)
Hi everyone,

I graduated (master) last October and since then I was not able to find employment. I took a break from October until January, I went back to Italy to stay a bit with family and friends. Came back and had some interviews that did not go as hoped for, then Covid19 came along and ruined the economy. Now I applied for some tesco/asda jobs but never heard from them, even tho I've worked in the customer service industry when I was studying. So, I started calling agencies that advertised jobs, and it seems that they will allow me to work. Have to say that the job is warehouse operative, and i'm worried that this will damage my cv.

So, i'm asking someone more experience or even an employer how do they see people taking more "humble" jobs? and how would you explain it?

Thank you
Employers know the current situation, and employers know that people need to earn money to survive - I'm sure they'd rather future potential employees were surviving and maintaining various general workplace skills (e.g. communication, following regulations etc.) in any job, rather than struggling to get by.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Employers have seen this before - its way better to have something to explain what you have been doing than nothing.
route255
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would still be picky to a certain degree, you don't want to take up a job you really hate.
JamesGoddard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is no guarantee you will have an aptitude for a such a role and potentially could even let the team down. Sometimes our gut instinct is the right one.
Sue_law
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's better to be doing something than nothing. Working under the current circumstances makes you look like a go-getter, rather than a lazy graduate. It's also hard to explain how you were productive when out of Employment.
Last edited by Sue_law; 1 month ago
jessicaelliot97
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would focus on finding a job you genuinely enjoy. Doing work that makes you feel like just a number is soul-destroying and will have long-term affects in the long-run. Keep your mental health and confidence in check so that you're in the best mindset when starting a job that you actually want to do.
cheeseontoasty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would try and find something you think you'd be good at, ideally something where you might gain some transferrable skills to the job you want in the future, just for your own sake. But don't worry about taking a warehouse job in terms of what an employer might think. 2020 has been an abysmal year to try and find a job in, it doesn't reflect badly on you as a candidate. It's also probably much better to show you have a keen work ethic by being in work if you can, rather than having an increasing gap in employment.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not any job, it has to be a job that you are physically capable of doing and that pays for your most crucial living expenses.
Focus upon your health, survival and finances.
Don't worry about what a random employer or recruitment consultant might think at some point in the future.
But do ensure that you are strong and healthy enough to cope with the physical demands of long shifts in a full time warehouse environment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (718)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.89%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (402)
18.93%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.38%

Watched Threads