Revision & School

Watch
username5446608
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to revise / take notes on work they do in school?

thanks
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In high school?
username5446608
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
In high school?
yes. anything would help
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I never took notes in high school but you’d need to in college. For high school it’s quite time consuming and it’s not necessary. As long as you put in effort you’ll do well
For science get the cgp revision guide (specific to exam board and whether you’re doing foundation or higher) then cover up sections that you’re revising with your hand. Test yourself and then check your answer. This is basically the same mechanism as a flash card. But it’s cheap and not time consuming! I do the same with biology in college.
Maths- watch mathswatch! I watched it all and 3 months before the exams did practice questions and past papers and I got an 8. Also write all the formulas you’ll use on a sheet to learn
Languages- again use the cgp Revision guide but what I believe is important is that you learn the vocab that will come up in the exams in the back of the guide. Learn 1 a day and you’ll be great! Just practice writing by learning grammar And listen to the language. For speaking don’t worry if you have a bad accent. Speaking is the same as writing it’s just you say what you’ve written.
English literature- all I can think of here is that it’s best to practice questions and perhaps some notes on flash cards for English lit isn’t a bad idea. You need to learn quotes for each theme and character so put these on your flash cards and analyse each quote.
English language- this is just about practice. No notes unless you write a couple of paragraphs of descriptive writing that can be applied to any type of story whether it’s fantasy or horror. But it isn’t needed to do well
Geography- do the same with the cgp revision guide about covering sections up and testing yourself
History- it is a good idea to make notes via flash cards. It has a lot of content I believe but I’m not an expert since I never did it at gcse.
Religious studies- make flash cards here and test yourself or mindmaps!
Flash cards and mindmaps are both great to make but only specific and a small amount of subjects require them. But I find that In college both are ineffective methods however that is subjective and depends on you.
Good luck! And ask me any questions
Last edited by ArtmisKco; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a breakdown by lesson-

History- use flashcards and notes or flowcharts. You can even try bubble writing here
Geography- try doing past papers, read notes and learn vocabulary etc
RE- create mind maps and weekly quizzes to aid recall. Also do make use of the color coding technique along with discussion
PE- notes mainly
Science- course textbook, revision guide and so on
Other subjects- whatever works including videos
StarNight1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
I never took notes in high school but you’d need to in college. For high school it’s quite time consuming and it’s not necessary. As long as you put in effort you’ll do well
For science get the cgp revision guide (specific to exam board and whether you’re doing foundation or higher) then cover up sections that you’re revising with your hand. Test yourself and then check your answer. This is basically the same mechanism as a flash card. But it’s cheap and not time consuming! I do the same with biology in college.
Maths- watch mathswatch! I watched it all and 3 months before the exams did practice questions and past papers and I got an 8. Also write all the formulas you’ll use on a sheet to learn
Languages- again use the cgp Revision guide but what I believe is important is that you learn the vocab that will come up in the exams in the back of the guide. Learn 1 a day and you’ll be great! Just practice writing by learning grammar And listen to the language. For speaking don’t worry if you have a bad accent. Speaking is the same as writing it’s just you say what you’ve written.
English literature- all I can think of here is that it’s best to practice questions and perhaps some notes on flash cards for English lit isn’t a bad idea. You need to learn quotes for each theme and character so put these on your flash cards and analyse each quote.
English language- this is just about practice. No notes unless you write a couple of paragraphs of descriptive writing that can be applied to any type of story whether it’s fantasy or horror. But it isn’t needed to do well
Geography- do the same with the cgp revision guide about covering sections up and testing yourself
History- it is a good idea to make notes via flash cards. It has a lot of content I believe but I’m not an expert since I never did it at gcse.
Religious studies- make flash cards here and test yourself or mindmaps!
Flash cards and mindmaps are both great to make but only specific and a small amount of subjects require them. But I find that In college both are ineffective methods however that is subjective and depends on you.
Good luck! And ask me any questions
Heya! Right now I'm in year 11. I am applying for sixth forms and colleges aswell as grammar sixth forms. I'm not sure where to go to be honest but my parents really want me to go to a grammar one but I don't think I'm capable. I also think I will struggle because I am not really that motivated with school (I used to but with covid my mental state has gone worse). My target/predicted grades are around 6/7s some 8s but I really want 7s and more for all my exams. I just dont feel capable. I want to do Maths, Geograpy, Business, Economics and maybe one of the Sciences but I can only pick 3 or 4 I think. My parents really want me to pick science (either chemistry or physics) but I really don't enjoy science at all and it just doesn't make sense. No matter how much I revise I still don't understand anything! And what annoys me the most is that when doing my exam the questions we get are completely different to what we've revised even If i've gone through all the topis. I seriously don't know what it is. I get grade 6s in science but thats because majority of my exams I've in a way 'cheated' on because I've already seen the paper before hand. Not on purpose but by just looking at past papers and topic tests and they always manage to use those which I've already gone through so its not really testing my own knowledge. Maths is probably my favourite subject and I want to get a grade 8 or 9 but recently some of the topics we've been learning are super hard and I'm in top set for maths so my teacher goes very fast and I feel as though I'm behind when I'm not compared to the girls in my class.. Sorry this is super long I just need to express my self as I'm very scared as to how my parents are going to react if they find out I don't get all grade 9s (thats what they want me to get) Please respond anyone if you can help me out. Thankyou <3
Geraldthegoat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1) English: mind maps of themes/ characters with quotes/ Mr Bruff videos.
Last edited by Geraldthegoat; 1 month ago
sophssmith_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One thing I did for all my subjects was to get a big whiteboard and act like a teacher and say it out loud until it was engraved in my head!! once I knew it off by heart, I wrote it down: flashcards, mind maps, whatever you find most comfortable for each subject because not every subject will have the same technique.

Hope this helps! Good luck with it all, you've got this!
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StarNight1234)
Heya! Right now I'm in year 11. I am applying for sixth forms and colleges aswell as grammar sixth forms. I'm not sure where to go to be honest but my parents really want me to go to a grammar one but I don't think I'm capable. I also think I will struggle because I am not really that motivated with school (I used to but with covid my mental state has gone worse). My target/predicted grades are around 6/7s some 8s but I really want 7s and more for all my exams. I just dont feel capable. I want to do Maths, Geograpy, Business, Economics and maybe one of the Sciences but I can only pick 3 or 4 I think. My parents really want me to pick science (either chemistry or physics) but I really don't enjoy science at all and it just doesn't make sense. No matter how much I revise I still don't understand anything! And what annoys me the most is that when doing my exam the questions we get are completely different to what we've revised even If i've gone through all the topis. I seriously don't know what it is. I get grade 6s in science but thats because majority of my exams I've in a way 'cheated' on because I've already seen the paper before hand. Not on purpose but by just looking at past papers and topic tests and they always manage to use those which I've already gone through so its not really testing my own knowledge. Maths is probably my favourite subject and I want to get a grade 8 or 9 but recently some of the topics we've been learning are super hard and I'm in top set for maths so my teacher goes very fast and I feel as though I'm behind when I'm not compared to the girls in my class.. Sorry this is super long I just need to express my self as I'm very scared as to how my parents are going to react if they find out I don't get all grade 9s (thats what they want me to get) Please respond anyone if you can help me out. Thankyou <3
Hello! Honestly from my experience, sixth forms and grammar sixth forms are the absolute same. It is true that one boasts better grades but it doesn’t matter because alevels are all about working hard! You’re definitely capable though so if you’re worried about that don’t be!! If you don’t enjoy science and you don’t want to do it then don’t do it. Tell your parents that a career in science is not what you want and where you’re headed to. Be honest and be truthful. It might sting and they get upset but don’t worry, these are your choices and what affects you. For maths I was the same as you. I watched all the mathswatch videos and did lots of questions! This was the way where I achieved an 8 and you definitely can achieve this! If you later start finding maths easy and enjoy it, perhaps you can take maths instead of a science? This is only an idea though, that way you’re doing something you like and your parents won’t mind. Also tell your parents that 7s are As and 8s are A*s and so on. Tell them how a grade 7 and above are really great! And so is a 6 as it’s a B. Tell them you feel pressured and won’t be able to get all 9s. That way they’ll start understanding more. Also getting a little teary eyed to show your emotions isn’t a bad idea . But your mental health Is the absolute priority. I hope what’s going on will be solved soon. Get an appointment with a gp which will refer you to a therapist. Because like you I’ve held back my mental illnesses and it really disadvantaged me. Good luck!
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Flashcards. Super useful always.
ashtolga23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Work smarter, not harder.

For me, writing out pages and pages of notes is next to useless, and it's an impossible task unless I want to chain myself to my desk for the next few months. It's not a wise way to use the time. Instead, I prefer things like flashcards, mindmaps, and even just bullet pointing key words.

One important aspect of revision is recall in my opinion. Make as many notes as you can from memory (two teachers I had who both graduated from Cambridge insist that even the act of trying to remember something cements it more in your mind, and having tried it I have to agree). Once you've done that, use your notes to fill the rest in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (628)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (786)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (370)
19.81%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.5%

Watched Threads