The Student Room Group

Law at university

At the moment I am in sixth form studying 2 a levels (sociology and psychology) and a BTEC grades to do law.(business) and hopefully I will get high enough

However I'm wooded about a couple of things about getting into a Russell group university and study law

1) my GCSE grades were all 4s just about a pass which I hope isnt a drawback and can make up for them with my a levels

2) I don't think my a level choices are the best seeming as apparently sociology is really easy and could be overlooked.

3) I think another drawback is picking one BTEC becuase apparently doing law they should want you to do all a levels Becuase of essay writing however I dunno

Maybe I'm over exaggerating but if anyone has any advice I will be grateful
Original post by Isaactj2020
At the moment I am in sixth form studying 2 a levels (sociology and psychology) and a BTEC grades to do law.(business) and hopefully I will get high enough

However I'm wooded about a couple of things about getting into a Russell group university and study law

1) my GCSE grades were all 4s just about a pass which I hope isnt a drawback and can make up for them with my a levels

2) I don't think my a level choices are the best seeming as apparently sociology is really easy and could be overlooked.

3) I think another drawback is picking one BTEC becuase apparently doing law they should want you to do all a levels Becuase of essay writing however I dunno

Maybe I'm over exaggerating but if anyone has any advice I will be grateful

1. Having all 4s isnt ideal. You will have to do some research to look up where 4s will be ok and where you need say a 5 or 6 in English. The more elite unis take some or all GCSE into account, whereas the lower ones arent fussed. What IU would do is pick provisionally and then check the GCSE policy. You should also remember there are plenty of good unis outside RG. A levels are what count most.

2. They arent brilliant, but in general unis arent fussy about which subjects you do. A few of the elites hint at favouring more traditional subjects, but in general as long as your subjects are on the preferred list, you will be fine. yours are.

3. 2 A levels and one BTEC generally isnt an issue. I wouldnt worry about it. If it were the other way round or all BTEC, then some unis get sniffy.
Again the correct approach is in 1, just get the best grades you can, pick provisionally and see which unis will find your level 3s and 2s acceptable. As I dont suspect you are going for elites, but focus lower down the tree, then if your predicted grades are high enough you should be ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending