The Student Room Group

Tattoos and PGCE

Does anyone have tattoos and is doing their PGCE? I just wondered how you worked it with placements?

I have 3 on my legs, that obviously would only be seen if I wore a skirt or a dress. I can always get super dark tights and they wouldn't be too noticeable I don't think. But, I've got another one on my arm and if I wore a short sleeved shirt it would be noticeable. Obviously not so much a problem in winter, but in summer I might want to wear a short sleeved shirt.

Did you tell your placements that you had tattoos straight up? Or did you keep it to yourself? Would it be detrimental?
Original post by sdfghjklvfdfdfs
Does anyone have tattoos and is doing their PGCE? I just wondered how you worked it with placements?

I have 3 on my legs, that obviously would only be seen if I wore a skirt or a dress. I can always get super dark tights and they wouldn't be too noticeable I don't think. But, I've got another one on my arm and if I wore a short sleeved shirt it would be noticeable. Obviously not so much a problem in winter, but in summer I might want to wear a short sleeved shirt.

Did you tell your placements that you had tattoos straight up? Or did you keep it to yourself? Would it be detrimental?

It's increasingly common now for teachers to have tattoos. There were two people on my training course with very noticeable tattoos (one man with two full sleeves and a woman with some hand tattoos that she couldn't hide). I know that the woman had one placement at a Catholic school who didn't like tattoos being on show and asked her to cover them, so she had to keep her other tattoos covered with sleeves / bracelets, but the hand tattoos she couldn't hide so at the end of the day they just had to deal with it. There was no chance of her getting a job there, but for a placement, it was accepted.

Currently, I work with quite a few teachers and TAs with tattoos that are visible on legs / arms. So long as they aren't at all offensive / adult themed, it shouldn't be an issue. Just be aware that some placements may ask you to make reasonable accommodations to cover them when possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending