The Student Room Group

ial 2020 oct chemistry u4 exam

how do u think of it,edx ial chem 4
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It was not easy....
Original post by sandani1234
It was not easy....

really,I think it is ok,so many questions are similar to jan 2020...
Yup
Original post by sandani1234
Yup

what did you get for the question about deducing structure? is that ester due to the sweet smelling of pear.? and the other two are carboxylic acid and alcohol?
(edited 3 years ago)
somebody please tell me what to do im not ready at ALL for unit 5 ive only done 1 paper :frown:
Original post by Anthony1912
somebody please tell me what to do im not ready at ALL for unit 5 ive only done 1 paper :frown:

but the exam is on Thursday...so why you booked the exam when u did not prepare well?
Reply 7
Original post by Anthony1912

did u do u5 today?? how did it go
Original post by halbsp
did u do u5 today?? how did it go

It went really horrible :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Sara aliyeva
It went really horrible :frown:

the last question about the lanthanide metals..... i just didnt know where to start it was so hard and i ran out of time as well :/
Original post by halbsp
the last question about the lanthanide metals..... i just didnt know where to start it was so hard and i ran out of time as well :/

is that just similar to transition metal? i did not work out the three step mechanism for that amine.others are fine but i think this paper is hard....
(edited 3 years ago)
what did u get for the percentage of methane?
Original post by Hedwigeeeee
what did u get for the percentage of methane?

I think I got around 47%, I did not know how to link volume to moles becoz there was no conc.
is that just similar to transition metal? i did not work out the three step mechanism for that amine.others are fine but i think this paper is hard....

The amine mechanism involved conversion of alcohol to ketone, ketone to cyanohydrin and then cyanohydrin to amine total 3 steps. The last step using LiALH4 would reduce the cyanide to form NH2, I hope that's what they wanted
What do you think the grade boundary is gonna be?
Like do you expect it to be over 65 or below?
Original post by arjun2101
I think I got around 47%, I did not know how to link volume to moles becoz there was no conc.

I got 20....lol and i have never seen that mechanism:frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sara aliyeva
Like do you expect it to be over 65 or below?

i hope it will be lower. because this is the first new syllabus exam and also during the pandemic.
Original post by arjun2101
The amine mechanism involved conversion of alcohol to ketone, ketone to cyanohydrin and then cyanohydrin to amine total 3 steps. The last step using LiALH4 would reduce the cyanide to form NH2, I hope that's what they wanted

why it is alcohol. it seems they convert a h to ch2nh2. i am confused
Reply 19
why it is alcohol. it seems they convert a h to ch2nh2. i am confused

yes i thoought so as well...

Quick Reply

Latest