Imperial Medicine Admissions – Ask Me Anything!

Watch
Imperial College School of Medicine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone, my name is Lidia and I am the Student Services Administrator for Admissions at Imperial School of Medicine.

I am here to support you in your application to our MBBS programme and I will answer your questions about the admission process and the student life at Imperial.

Post your questions here and I'll be back on Friday 23rd October, 2pm - 5pm (UK time) to talk to you live and answer as many of your questions as possible.

Please understand that I will not be able to comment on individual cases and grades, as our admissions requirements take into consideration all steps of the admissions process, including BMAT score and MMI outcome.

Some information that you might find useful:

Our previous Ask Me Anything thread on the Student Room where you can have a look at the questions I already answered on applications and BMAT.

Our Virtual Open Day page where you can watch videos and presentations from our last open day online.

The Medicine admissions page.

I am looking forward to helping you in your journey to your medical career!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imperial College School of Medicine)
Hello everyone, my name is Lidia and I am the Student Services Administrator for Admissions at Imperial School of Medicine.

I am here to support you in your application to our MBBS programme and I will answer your questions about the admission process and the student life at Imperial.

Post your questions here and I'll be back on Friday 23rd October, 2pm - 5pm (UK time) to talk to you live and answer as many of your questions as possible.

Please understand that I will not be able to comment on individual cases and grades, as our admissions requirements take into consideration all steps of the admissions process, including BMAT score and MMI outcome.

Some information that you might find useful:

Our previous Ask Me Anything thread on the Student Room where you can have a look at the questions I already answered on applications and BMAT.

Our Virtual Open Day page where you can watch videos and presentations from our last open day online.

The Medicine admissions page.

I am looking forward to helping you in your journey to your medical career!
Hi there,

I am currently a student who has achieved their examination results this summer, and prior to this, I had restarted year 12 at another school due to the fact that I was told to leave, as they did not let me continue with year 13. For 2021 entry, it is said that resits would be considered without the need of mitigating circumstances. Does this mean that my application would not be affected at all for this years process? I meet every other requirement, but I just wonder if that will hinder my application.

Many thanks
DoctorAk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi , ive got AAC CAGs but I’m doing autumn exams. My school is not predicting us grades since we’re doing autumn exams so will this be disadvantageous to our application ?
Maya Desai
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I am a mature student hoping to complete my A level exams next summer. Am I at a disadvantage for being 29 and hoping to apply for undergraduate Medicine? I have the work experience and have researched the course well. Because of my health and other circumstances I did not attend university. I am retaking my A levels now and have extenuating circumstances for not passing my A levels the first time. Who is it I can speak to about this? Also how do I apply for scholarships as I am in financial difficulty at the moment and I am worried about studying in London which is quite expensive but I still want to apply to Imperial College.

Thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Is there a list of recommended reading for my application?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi there,

I am currently a student who has achieved their examination results this summer, and prior to this, I had restarted year 12 at another school due to the fact that I was told to leave, as they did not let me continue with year 13. For 2021 entry, it is said that resits would be considered without the need of mitigating circumstances. Does this mean that my application would not be affected at all for this years process? I meet every other requirement, but I just wonder if that will hinder my application.

Many thanks
Dear Student,

Thank you so much for your question.

Please note that I cannot comment on individual cases, but I have written some information that might be useful for you.

I can confirm that for 2021 UCAS applications only, the School of Medicine will accept resit qualifications without the need for Mitigation. Further information is noted below.

Autumn Assessment Sitting
If you received CAGs in Summer 2020 and you choose to sit assessments in Autumn, your application will be considered.
- If you had previously held a conditional offer from Imperial for 2020 entry, you will not be required to sit the BMAT or undertake the Interview process again.
- If you have not previously applied to Imperial or did not apply in the 2020 UCAS entry, you will be required to undertake the full admissions process. This includes sitting the BMAT and taking the interview process subject to eligibility.

Summer Assessment Sitting
If you received CAGs in Summer 2020 and you choose to sit assessments in Summer 2021, your application will be considered.
- If you had previously held a conditional offer from Imperial for 2020 entry, you must still make an application through UCAS for 2021 entry but you will not be required to sit the BMAT or undertake the Interview process again.
- If you have not previously applied to Imperial or did not apply in the 2020 UCAS entry, you will be required to undertake the full admissions process. This includes sitting the BMAT and taking the interview process subject to eligibility.

If you sit both sitting, the highest award will be considered.

For any other case, we normally do not accept resits. If the year has been completely resat in previous years for matters non-related to Covid19, students might have to submit a request for mitigating circumstances. For mitigating circumstances to be considered, students should write an email to [email protected] with all the details.

I hope this is clear. I wish you the best with your application and your future career in medicine.

All the best,
Lidia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maya Desai)
Hi, I am a mature student hoping to complete my A level exams next summer. Am I at a disadvantage for being 29 and hoping to apply for undergraduate Medicine? I have the work experience and have researched the course well. Because of my health and other circumstances I did not attend university. I am retaking my A levels now and have extenuating circumstances for not passing my A levels the first time. Who is it I can speak to about this? Also how do I apply for scholarships as I am in financial difficulty at the moment and I am worried about studying in London which is quite expensive but I still want to apply to Imperial College.

Thank you
Dear Maya Desai

Thank you very much for your questions.

There is no age limit for applying to medicine. I should mention that we do not have so many mature students, so it is possible that you will be in a minority on campus, but there is nothing stopping you from studying medicine at 29. You being more years of age than the usual medicine applicant does not imply that you will be any less capable of a younger person. As long as you keep your professional knowledge up-to-date, you will be within the medicine ethical framework. You might find useful to read the GMC’s ethical guidance on their website: https://www.gmc-uk.org/ethical-guida...dical-practice

Regarding you’re a-Levels, you can find all the entry requirements here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...y-requirements. Please note that we normally do not accept resits. For mitigating circumstances to be considered, students should write an email to [email protected] with all the details.

All the scholarships we have are available to students who have already been accepted and have received an unconditional offer to study with us. Therefore, you will need to apply and be accepted to the programme before you can be considered for the scholarship. Here you can find more information about scholarship opportunities at Imperial: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/.../scholarships/

Please also find some information about tuition fees and funding: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...es-and-funding

I hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours.

Have a great weekend,
Lidia
Bilaaaal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imperial College School of Medicine)
Dear Student,

Thank you so much for your question.

Please note that I cannot comment on individual cases, but I have written some information that might be useful for you.

I can confirm that for 2021 UCAS applications only, the School of Medicine will accept resit qualifications without the need for Mitigation. Further information is noted below.

Autumn Assessment Sitting
If you received CAGs in Summer 2020 and you choose to sit assessments in Autumn, your application will be considered.
- If you had previously held a conditional offer from Imperial for 2020 entry, you will not be required to sit the BMAT or undertake the Interview process again.

Summer Assessment Sitting
If you received CAGs in Summer 2020 and you choose to sit assessments in Summer 2021, your application will be considered.
- If you had previously held a conditional offer from Imperial for 2020 entry, you must still make an application through UCAS for 2021 entry but you will not be required to sit the BMAT or undertake the Interview process again.

If you sit both sitting, the highest award will be considered.

For any other case, we normally do not accept resits. If the year has been completely resat in previous years for matters non-related to Covid19, students might have to submit a request for mitigating circumstances. For mitigating circumstances to be considered, students should write an email to [email protected] with all the details.

I hope this is clear. I wish you the best with your application and your future career in medicine.

All the best,
Lidia
Hi,

I sat my A-levels in June 2019. Having missed my grades, I took a gap year last year. However due to being a private candidate, I did not receive any grades in August 2020. So I have had to take another gap year. I have never applied to Imperial before.

Would my application to Imperial be considered?

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by Bilaaaal; 1 month ago
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bilaaaal)
Hi,

I sat my A-levels in June 2019. Having missed my grades, I took a gap year last year. However due to being a private candidate, I did not receive any grades in August 2020. So I have had to take another gap year. I have never applied to Imperial before.

Would my application to Imperial be considered?

Thank you for your time.
Dear Bilaaaal,

Thank you very much for your question.

Please note that I cannot comment on individual cases, but I will write some information that you might find useful.

Regarding Gap Years, please have a look at this page: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/...akingagapyear/.
Please note that we normally do not accept resits. For mitigating circumstances to be considered, students should write an email to [email protected] with all the details.

I hope this helps.

Have a great weekend.

Best wishes,
Lidia
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoctorAk)
Hi , ive got AAC CAGs but I’m doing autumn exams. My school is not predicting us grades since we’re doing autumn exams so will this be disadvantageous to our application ?
Dear DoctorAk,

Thank you very much for your question.

When you apply through UCAS, there should be an indication of predicted grades.

The minimum A –level requirements are as follows:
A in Biology
A in Chemistry
A in a third subject
You can find the complete list of our admissions requirements here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...y-requirements

Please note that we also require a grade B in English GCSE.

We will then receive your exam grades directly from the exam board once you have taken your exam.

I hope this helps. I wish you the best with your application!

Best wishes,
Lidia
dontevenknow2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Lidia,

What are the main qualities you are looking for at interview stage?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is there a list of recommended reading for my application?
Dear Student,

Thank you very much for your email.

There isn’t a recommended list of books as such, but we suggest that you keep up-to-date with the realities in Healthcare and the NHS.

Online resources can give you valuable insight into working in the healthcare sector and outline the wide range of careers and courses available.
NHS Health Careers website: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/
Working in Health YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/NHSCareers

For more information about preparing for your interview, you can have a look at this blog also: https://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/blog/stu...s-at-imperial/

I hope this helps. Good luck with your application!

Have a great weekend,
Lidia
Rep:
?
(Original post by dontevenknow2)
Hi Lidia,

What are the main qualities you are looking for at interview stage?
Dear dontevenknow2,

Thank you very much for your question - a very good one!

At Imperial, we carry out Multiple Mini Interviews, as we believe that MMIs give fair and accurate results. Getting a number of different interviewer assessments means that a candidate who doesn’t do as well on one component can still be fairly assessed on other components.

Although questions and stations may vary through the years, these are the main topics that you will asked questions on:

Motivation to study medicine 
Team work and Leadership 
Understanding the role of a doctor 
Ethics scenarios 
Empathy
Imperial and contribution to school of medicine 
Resilience 

Remember that it is also really important to work on your communication skills – MMIs are fast-paced so you want to practice by giving answers in a short amount of time.

Check out the Medical School Council website for more information: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studyin...ons/interviews. We will release more detailed information on how we are going to organise MMIs this year, so make sure you check our website in the next few weeks or write to us at [email protected]

In addition to this, keeping up-to-date with the current NHS news and climate will definitely help. Online resources can give you valuable insight into working in the healthcare sector and outline the wide range of careers and courses available.
NHS Health Careers website: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/
Working in Health YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/NHSCareers

I hope this helps. I wish you the best with your application.

Best wishes,
Lidia
Rep:
?
Hey everyone,

Thank you very much for sending all these questions! It's been great to listen to your queries and I hope I have helped

We will be doing the Ask Me Anything thread on a monthly basis during applications time, so spread the word! I will be back on the week of 23rd November to answer to all your questions about MMIs. Meanwhile, if you post them here I will make sure I answer them as soon as possible.

Have a great weekend,
Lidia
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
How many international applicants does Imperial get every year and how many of them are given offers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads