FieryStar21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was initially applying for medicine but then I changed my mind and thought biochem was more suited for me. Yet, I don't have any relevant work experience for biochem e.g. working in a lab, I've only got HR in hospital, working with elderly and special needs children and at a charity shop. I've got quite a few extra circular activities such as speech and drama, prefects, Carnatic vocal, badminton, Med Ethics. I feel like I dont have much to talk about when it comes to academic interests, like I'm doing an EPQ on euthanasia but that's all i have.Could someone help me out? I'm applying this November.Thanks!
soph2903
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm studying biochemistry i'm actually in my final year now. I was the same as you when applying and changed what course I wanted to do multiple times before deciding on biochemistry. I'm going to be honest and say don't worry about work experience, I had no work experience in the field when I was applying and I would say that the majority of people won't have work experience related to biochemistry. Does your course state that you need work experience and is an interview required for your application? One thing I will say that I think will help a lot is if you get the chance to do a placement year on your course then you should 100% do it, you will gain so much experience from that one year and it will look really good on job applications in the future as you will have some professional experience to talk about.
soph2903
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by soph2903)
Hi, I'm studying biochemistry i'm actually in my final year now. I was the same as you when applying and changed what course I wanted to do multiple times before deciding on biochemistry. I'm going to be honest and say don't worry about work experience, I had no work experience in the field when I was applying and I would say that the majority of people won't have work experience related to biochemistry. Does your course state that you need work experience and is an interview required for your application? One thing I will say that I think will help a lot is if you get the chance to do a placement year on your course then you should 100% do it, you will gain so much experience from that one year and it will look really good on job applications in the future as you will have some professional experience to talk about.
Also due to the pandemic a lot of labs aren't offering work experience at the minute, I have been looking at work experience within the NHS and they aren't taking on new students for the foreseeable future. I am happy to help with any issues you have with applying or just questions about biochem in general!
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't need work experience. It's a waste of time for a Biochemistry degree.

FYI - If you're wanting to work as a Biomedical Scientist in Biochemistry in the NHS, you're picking the wrong degree.
Racresmol
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're not expected to have work experience to go into a biochem degree. Ideally you should get experience during it by way of internships, scholarships and placement year.
FieryStar21
Rep:
?
well it depends on my grades but I might go for chemistry with medicinal chemistry at imperial college (its a masters degree) and it seems similar to biochem. For that, there's an interview but for the other courses there isn't any.
FieryStar21
Rep:
?
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
You don't need work experience. It's a waste of time for a Biochemistry degree.

FYI - If you're wanting to work as a Biomedical Scientist in Biochemistry in the NHS, you're picking the wrong degree.
okay thank you! No, I don't want to, I would like to work lab based, doing researches and possibly in the field of forensics.
FieryStar21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Racresmol)
You're not expected to have work experience to go into a biochem degree. Ideally you should get experience during it by way of internships, scholarships and placement year.
There hasn't been much opportunities due to COVID and so i haven't done any, I'm guessing there would be opportunities in uni instead.
FieryStar21
Rep:
?
oh what university are you doing it and how is the degree? what did you include in your personal statement?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (901)
42.8%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (397)
18.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise