When applying to unis can they tell if you’re already a student at another university

Watch
username4269864
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can unis tell that you’re already admitted at another university? And if so how? Also if you hold a deferred offer and reapply with a dual application through UCAS can other unis see this too?
Mina Abdulkerim
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For example,if you add 5 unis on your ucas choice they don't know if you applied elsewhere what they only know is that you have already applied to them & submitted your application & they'll tell you or asks you abt your qualifications or any necessary requirements for your course.

Note: Every unis have their own process & so they are different.😊
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student2001:))
Can unis tell that you’re already admitted at another university? And if so how? Also if you hold a deferred offer and reapply with a dual application through UCAS can other unis see this too?
You have to state your education history ... or do you mean you haven't started the course?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can unis tell that you’re already admitted at another university? And if so how?
You must declare if you are studying elsewhere. They can't see if you're enrolled but if there's a gap in your study this is the first thing they will ask you about.
Also if you hold a deferred offer and reapply with a dual application through UCAS can other unis see this too?
In previous years this wouldn't be possible, (UCAS wouldn't allow you to apply if you were placed elsewhere). Because of the mess with results in 2020 you're fine to apply whilst holding a deferred offer. You'll be asked which you want to keep around January by UCAS. I'm not sure how this will appear on UCAS to other unis, they may be able to see your existing offer, or UCAS will hide all your info about other choices until you've made your Firm and Insurance picks.
username4269864
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You have to state your education history ... or do you mean you haven't started the course?
Yeah I haven’t started the course yet, I deferred my entry to next year
username4269864
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
You must declare if you are studying elsewhere. They can't see if you're enrolled but if there's a gap in your study this is the first thing they will ask you about.

In previous years this wouldn't be possible, (UCAS wouldn't allow you to apply if you were placed elsewhere). Because of the mess with results in 2020 you're fine to apply whilst holding a deferred offer. You'll be asked which you want to keep around January by UCAS. I'm not sure how this will appear on UCAS to other unis, they may be able to see your existing offer, or UCAS will hide all your info about other choices until you've made your Firm and Insurance picks.
What happens if by January you still haven’t heard back from any universities as all mine say they will reply back in March/feb
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What happens if by January you still haven’t heard back from any universities as all mine say they will reply back in March/feb
We don't know as this has never been allowed before. You could contact UCAS to ask directly, but they may not have decided yet.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ask UCAS or ring directly to find out more.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I haven’t started the course yet, I deferred my entry to next year
They will know you applied previously because of your 'early' UCAS number.
This will prompt Admissions staff to look you up on the UCAS system.
username4269864
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
They will know you applied previously because of your 'early' UCAS number.
This will prompt Admissions staff to look you up on the UCAS system.
Even if I’m applying to other universities that I’ve never applied to before?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Even if I’m applying to other universities that I’ve never applied to before?
Yes. UCAS will merge your new record with your previous one. So you’ll have a PID from the previous cycle.

Uni’s won’t care that you’re holding an offer elsewhere, it’s permitted this cycle. They’d only care if you were enrolled elsewhere.
username4269864
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Yes. UCAS will merge your new record with your previous one. So you’ll have a PID from the previous cycle.

Uni’s won’t care that you’re holding an offer elsewhere, it’s permitted this cycle. They’d only care if you were enrolled elsewhere.
What does it mean to be enrolled though? As in actually be studying/started the course elsewhere?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What does it mean to be enrolled though? As in actually be studying/started the course elsewhere?
You formally enrol shortly before starting each year of the course. Holding a deferred offer isn’t the same as being enrolled.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.13%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.85%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.84%

Watched Threads