Oxford Brookes sets debt collectors on it's students.

Watch
Akuma
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In March, Oxford Brookes University closed its campus, like all other UK universities, and moved to online teaching.

Unlike other universities, such as King’s College London, the University of York and all Scottish universities, Brookes did not give students the option to cancel their accommodation contracts.
"They are threatening me with court dates and legal recovery dates."
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18...bt-collectors/
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'I owe £835. My student loan now goes on my current rent; I don't have enough money. I couldn't get a job over lockdown.'
Why didn't he pay this out of his previous student loan? Nothing really to see here, some guy breached his contract by not paying rent and is now crying because he is being threatened with being taken to court for breaching that contract.
Akuma
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
'I owe £835. My student loan now goes on my current rent; I don't have enough money. I couldn't get a job over lockdown.'
Why didn't he pay this out of his previous student loan? Nothing really to see here, some guy breached his contract by not paying rent and is now crying because he is being threatened with being taken to court for breaching that contract.
It isn't just "some guy". Its all the students who have been put in this position, as the article makes clear. Wouldn't have happened at other universities which released students from their contracts. Asking people to vacate accommodation whilst continuing to charge them for it is plainly absurd.
Last edited by Akuma; 1 month ago
firestarter-
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's pretty appalling. Hopefully the affected students will stick together and fight it.
oldman50
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Akuma)
It isn't just "some guy". Its all the students who have been put in this position, as the article makes clear. Wouldn't have happened at other universities which released students from their contracts. Asking people to vacate accommodation whilst continuing to charge them for it is plainly absurd.
What did he spend that £835 on? He must have budgeted for it at the start of the year and should have assumed that he had to pay it until told otherwise.

University lessons aren't always taught in the lecture room, some are life lessons (eg don't spend money until you have it)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Students who owe money and dont pay are prevented from progressing and ultimately denied their degree.
The unis also reserve the right to employ debt collectors, just like every other uni.
Some unis let students off and plenty of others did not. The results were even poorer when it came to private student halls.

The article is a bit unclear imo.

1. I cant recall the government shutting down unis and telling everyone to go home? In that situation I think I would defend any court case.
2.It looks as though the uni gave people the option to vacate by April, which this person didnt do.
3. Its unclear if the 50% applied to the full term in which case if it was half way he would have paid for the first half and been let off the second half?
4. If the 50% applied to the second half i.e they wanted to charge 50% for the time after they supposedly told him to go home, then I would defend that. It looks like they gave them the option to stay or go home i.e the room was still available.
5. It is unclear how he was able to get away from paying his student accommodation in the first place? Its normally the first thing paid?
6. If you knew some of the above details
, then it would be easier to work out if he had anything to defend.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Akuma)
I dont think it is altogether clear that is what happened.
If indeed they told them to leave and then charged him at 50% beyond that date I would say its stupid. That amounts to an agreement to terminate.
If they said you can leave and we will only charge 50%, but you can stay as well, then I think that is different.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He is clearly telling porkies in this article. Hs says students weren't allowed to to stay in their accomodation, if that is true he would be not liable for the money however I do not believe that is the truth.

The reason this has been sent to debt collectors is because it sounds like he kicked the issue into the long grass rather than coming to an agreement of the university.
Akuma
Rep:
?
(Original post by oldman50)
What did he spend that £835 on? He must have budgeted for it at the start of the year and should have assumed that he had to pay it until told otherwise.

University lessons aren't always taught in the lecture room, some are life lessons (eg don't spend money until you have it)
Yeah all the students in this position should have realised that at Brookes they wont be treat according to sector wide norms.
Akuma
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I dont think it is altogether clear that is what happened.
If indeed they told them to leave and then charged him at 50% beyond that date I would say its stupid. That amounts to an agreement to terminate.
If they said you can leave and we will only charge 50%, but you can stay as well, then I think that is different.
They were asked to leave. Obviously the university wouldn't tell them to leave for exactly this reason.

Now they've encouraged more students to sign contracts with promises of on campus learning which for many courses has been entirely replaced with online. Students are left paying for halls that they don't need.

Looks like students in this position at Brookes are in a worse situation than students in this position at other universities.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Akuma)
They were asked to leave. Obviously the university wouldn't tell them to leave for exactly this reason.

Now they've encouraged more students to sign contracts with promises of on campus learning which for many courses has been entirely replaced with online. Students are left paying for halls that they don't need.

Looks like students in this position at Brookes are in a worse situation than students in this position at other universities.
It doesnt say that. From my reading of the article it gave them the option.

Not sure your other two sentences are relevant.
firestarter-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The article says students were encouraged to leave, in the first paragraph.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by firestarter-)
The article says students were encouraged to leave, in the first paragraph.
I'd need to have more details.
Between journalistic licence and a witness who isnt altogether reliable, then I would have an open mind.
Being given the option to leave doesnt mean they were told to leave., the devil is in the detail.
Akuma
Rep:
?
It's relevant because there's no reason to believe Brookes wont behave in the same way with students currently leaving accommodation due to in person teaching being cancelled. Even if other universities see it's unfair and release students from their contracts, this shows that that doesn't mean that Oxford Brookes will.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Student signs tenancy contract, then refuses to pay the rent despite signed contract. The owner of the debt used debt collectors to seek remuneration for the money they are legally entitled to, so student who breached the contract complains to local newspaper.
Akuma
Rep:
?
I'd need to have more details.
Between journalistic licence and a witness who isnt altogether reliable, then I would have an open mind.
Being given the option to leave doesnt mean they were told to leave., the devil is in the detail.
How can they be "given the option to leave"? Were they prisoners beforehand.
SomeWelshGuy123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So whaat happened to the rest of his loan that he would have been saving to pay for accommodation? Sounds like he thought he'd get away with scamming his Uni and spunked all his money.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Akuma)
How can they be "given the option to leave"? Were they prisoners beforehand.
They were licensees with a contract for a fixed term.
The uni gave them the option to terminate before that term expired.
Do you understand about contracts?
firestarter-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Were those of you trying to defend this at uni when the lockdown started? Presumably not at Brookes and so those in halls got full refunds. Did you write to your universities explaining to them that you had signed the contract so should have to pay and urging them to not let you scam them?
Akuma
Rep:
?
They were licensees with a contract for a fixed term.
The uni gave them the option to terminate before that term expired.
Do you understand about contracts?
No they didn't. Other universities did that but Brookes refused. That's the whole point of the article and thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads