The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Is Glasgow dangerous?

I want to apply to Glasgow for English (I’m from West Mids) but my parents are worried that it’s a dangerous place and I’ll get hurt. I’ve never been to Glasgow before so I have no frame of reference. Thoughts?
I can see where they are coming from, billy connolly was a rough welder in the shipyards at Govan , there was drinking, fighting. Sauchiehall Street was the place to go, late at night for a curry & a few bevvies, then eat a lot of mints so the fire & brimstone preacher in Paisley couldn’t smell the demon drink on your breath.

But.

Sir William Connolly, is now a retired Scottish stand-up comedian, musician, presenter, actor, and artist. Sauchiehall Street is now the best shopping street in Glasgie and in Paisley, all the churches are shut, or converted into UWS university.

Times have changed, and if you are sensible you’ll never hear a cross word in Glasgow.
It has a great university or two, or three. And there’s lots to do.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
I studied and lived in Glasgow for four years and my answer is that Glasgow on the whole is not more unsafe than any other city. There are certain areas that have a reputation for being more dangerous than others (Maryhill, Possil Park etc.) but I used to walk and run around some of these areas alone day and night and felt completely safe and had no problems. For your average person minding your own business you're very unlikely to run into trouble. Add on top of that the uni and its community is in the very middle class West End which earns it a reputation of being safe (although like I said above I don't think these reputations are always fair and accurate). Definitely visit Glasgow, it's a beautiful city, with an amazing culture. I had a friend from Leeds come and visit and he was pleasantly surprised because he thought it would be a dangerous threatening city when that couldn't be further from the truth.
(edited 3 years ago)
Nah it's fine, avoid most of North and the proper East.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending