The Student Room Group

Applying to sixth form

A school that I am applying wants a 1 page personal statement, including things like my future plans, extracurriculars and why I've chosen my A level choices. How can I show that I am passionate about them, and how should I start without sounding cringey?
Original post by scepticsceptic
A school that I am applying wants a 1 page personal statement, including things like my future plans, extracurriculars and why I've chosen my A level choices. How can I show that I am passionate about them, and how should I start without sounding cringey?

After doing some research for myself, I found a student who studied medicine at Oxford. He said that you should always get straight to the point and back up anything you say about yourself with evidence e.g. I have shown confidence outside of academics when I performed a music performance to a crowd.

He also said, that when u start it, he recommends you talk about your future aspirations/job and why you want to do that e.g. I find teaching to be a charitable but resilient occupation, igniting my passion to help others as well as tackle challenges whilst doing so.

He then said, to follow this sentence with some work experience you may have done e.g. Last year, my work experience at "insert name" school was one of the most challenging and interesting experiences of my life and although it was physically difficult, I was able to educe a sense of resilience and expanded my passion to pursue this further.

The hardest part is starting. Once you have a good starting, the rest of it will flow quite easily. As you are limited to one page, make sure you're straight to the point and good luck!
Original post by dhruvit_p
I find teaching to be a charitable but resilient occupation, igniting my passion to help others as well as tackle challenges whilst doing so.

This post is good advice.

The only thing I'd say is that you don't need to use flowery language just for the sake of it. For example - and this is definitely over-critical but just as an example! - take the sentence above.

'Charitable' - so you're saying teaching is charity? I.e. they're not paid enough? Bit of a political opening.
"Resilient" - its resilient to... what, economic recession? I guess so?
'Igniting my passion' - so you weren't passionate about helping others, then you, what, saw a teacher and decided you were? What does this actually mean?
"tackle challenges" - what challenges lol. Super vague. And you're doing it... whilst igniting your passion? I don't get it.

All the terms above feel like they were put in to sound fancy. Just say what you mean. Its an honest statement about you and your life, not a poem.
T

Original post by dhruvit_p
After doing some research for myself, I found a student who studied medicine at Oxford. He said that you should always get straight to the point and back up anything you say about yourself with evidence e.g. I have shown confidence outside of academics when I performed a music performance to a crowd.

He also said, that when u start it, he recommends you talk about your future aspirations/job and why you want to do that e.g. I find teaching to be a charitable but resilient occupation, igniting my passion to help others as well as tackle challenges whilst doing so.

He then said, to follow this sentence with some work experience you may have done e.g. Last year, my work experience at "insert name" school was one of the most challenging and interesting experiences of my life and although it was physically difficult, I was able to educe a sense of resilience and expanded my passion to pursue this further.

The hardest part is starting. Once you have a good starting, the rest of it will flow quite easily. As you are limited to one page, make sure you're straight to the point and good luck!

Thanks for the advice !
Original post by nexttime
This post is good advice.

The only thing I'd say is that you don't need to use flowery language just for the sake of it. For example - and this is definitely over-critical but just as an example! - take the sentence above.

'Charitable' - so you're saying teaching is charity? I.e. they're not paid enough? Bit of a political opening.
"Resilient" - its resilient to... what, economic recession? I guess so?
'Igniting my passion' - so you weren't passionate about helping others, then you, what, saw a teacher and decided you were? What does this actually mean?
"tackle challenges" - what challenges lol. Super vague. And you're doing it... whilst igniting your passion? I don't get it.

All the terms above feel like they were put in to sound fancy. Just say what you mean. Its an honest statement about you and your life, not a poem.

Thanks for this. It is bad if it starts to look like a list of my accomplishments/experiences? And is there any way to distinguish myself from other candidates at this stage?
Original post by scepticsceptic
Thanks for this. It is bad if it starts to look like a list of my accomplishments/experiences? And is there any way to distinguish myself from other candidates at this stage?

I think you can make it a little more narrative than a literal list, but otherwise no I think that's fine. Have they asked for a CV? Because otherwise i would think of this as a narrative CV, without further guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending