Students from northern England facing 'toxic attitude' at Durham University

Watch
College_Student7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What do you make of this from The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ham-university

"Students from northern England are being ridiculed over their accents and backgrounds at one of the country’s leading universities, and even forced out, according to a report compiled by a Durham student.

Lauren White, 20, is demanding action after interviews with fellow northern students at Durham revealed a “toxic attitude” towards them from some peers and tutors. Its vice-chancellor said her report highlighted unacceptable behaviours at odds with the university’s values and that the findings would be looked into.

Last year a freedom of information request revealed that on average 7.8% of graduates over the last five years from Durham University – one of the country’s best-rated institutions – were from the north-east England.

Two years ago, White, who grew up 15 miles from Durham and is in her third year, found herself in this minority. She said discrimination and ridiculing of her local roots began almost immediately."
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Ironic considering its location.
College_Student7
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Ironic considering its location.
Yeah. I was a bit surprised considering Durham is in the north.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's ridiculous. The one place you'd not expect to have your accent and origin mocked is at your local university, least of all by your lecturers themselves.
InspiredPleb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I assumed the stereotype of mostly uppity Oxbridge-rejects going there was false. It's a northern uni isn't it?
How very ironic.
Southcoaster747
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The question is not so much whether such behaviour exists at Durham - there have been enough reports now to see that it does - but how widespread it is. It's hard to say.

I hope I get an offer, and I'm pretty sure I'd accept if I did. But the general rep of the place does concern me.

I've chosen South College, partly because I figured a modern, self catering college might be less likely to be full of private school idiots pretending they're in a Harry Potter movie.

(ps I went to a private school so know all about them)
College_Student7
Rep:
?
I'm also surprised at just how few North East students graduated from Durham https://www.palatinate.org.uk/7-8-of...he-north-east/
MinnieW09
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I graduated a few years ago from Durham now but I'm a northerner never had a problem. Some good natured teasing of "bath" vs "barth" with southener friends but nothing malicious or toxic.

Its unfortunate if she has found it to be ridiculing rather than good natured teasing. Bullying is never ok.
Last edited by MinnieW09; 1 month ago
Northernmum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by College_Student7)
I'm also surprised at just how few North East students graduated from Durham https://www.palatinate.org.uk/7-8-of...he-north-east/
There has historically been a reluctance for sixth forms and schools in the region to recommend Durham- partly because the University was so slow to embrace inclusivity and their outreach programmes were too little, too late- but also because teachers were all too aware of the attitudes faced by their kids. The university is having to face some seriously negative publicity at the moment- the admission that it’s inclusion rate and the number of students from non-selective state schools has fallen dramatically as well as the scandals regarding derogatory and abusive comments. One of my kids graduated from here several years ago, they had the most wonderful time but almost never got there due to systemic prejudice in their admission systems which they are only now addressing through their contextual offers. Did they experience toxicity? To some extent but in a sense knowing what they signed up for helped - if you don’t expect anything better when it did rear it’s head, they dealt with it by finding allies. They came out with a first and had the most wonderful experiences there. The fact that the university now has a ‘northern society’ helps! My other kid is now at Durham, and avoided the hotbed of toxicity by opting for a self catered, although colleges like Aidans and HildBede are happier ones too. To be honest, we found plummier accents at Newcastle than we did at Durham! The university has a lot of ground work to do but don’t let that out you off applying.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Northernmum)
There has historically been a reluctance for sixth forms and schools in the region to recommend Durham
I'd never thought about this before, but looking back on it, whenever my sixth form mentioned local universities, they'd mention Newcastle, Northumbria, even Sunderland and Teesside, but rarely brought up Durham. Very interesting.
Isinglass
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We are a long way south of Durham, but I do know a few who have gone there in recent years from local schools and colleges and would be horrified and saddened if any of them were involved. Tbh, it is possible that however nicely spoken - and nice - they are, they themselves may be on the receiving end of a certain amount of snobbery when they tell that sort of person where they hail from.

If comments seriously amounting to bullying are also emanating from academic staff, that is indefensible.
ImAGiraffe
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by College_Student7)
What do you make of this from The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ham-university

"Students from northern England are being ridiculed over their accents and backgrounds at one of the country’s leading universities, and even forced out, according to a report compiled by a Durham student.

Lauren White, 20, is demanding action after interviews with fellow northern students at Durham revealed a “toxic attitude” towards them from some peers and tutors. Its vice-chancellor said her report highlighted unacceptable behaviours at odds with the university’s values and that the findings would be looked into.

Last year a freedom of information request revealed that on average 7.8% of graduates over the last five years from Durham University – one of the country’s best-rated institutions – were from the north-east England.

Two years ago, White, who grew up 15 miles from Durham and is in her third year, found herself in this minority. She said discrimination and ridiculing of her local roots began almost immediately."
Its honestly putting me off going to Durham. I did the supported progression programme and it seemed decent but all I hear when I search Durham is horror story after horror story. I mean, you have students coming to the north and then taking the piss out of northerners? What did they expect to find :/
Southcoaster747
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ImAGiraffe)
Its honestly putting me off going to Durham. I did the supported progression programme and it seemed decent but all I hear when I search Durham is horror story after horror story. I mean, you have students coming to the north and then taking the piss out of northerners? What did they expect to find :/
My concern is some of them just treat it like a playground for 3 years where they can do what they like before moving on to better things. No real intention to be part of the community. For me, as a southerner, getting to know another part of the country and other types of people is part of the attraction. But if all I'm going to get is being surrounded by loads of people I've spent my whole life around I'm not that fussed. But the course is well respected. (not that I've got an offer yet!)
Isinglass
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, from what one can glean of the usual situation, not very many northerners, let alone actual locals...
ImAGiraffe
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Southcoaster747)
My concern is some of them just treat it like a playground for 3 years where they can do what they like before moving on to better things. No real intention to be part of the community. For me, as a southerner, getting to know another part of the country and other types of people is part of the attraction. But if all I'm going to get is being surrounded by loads of people I've spent my whole life around I'm not that fussed. But the course is well respected. (not that I've got an offer yet!)
I did supported progression and am confident I could get into my course at Durham, but as a local this just puts me off and its a shame for people like you who would genuinely like to mix with us
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Awful to think this has happened. No one should be mocked for coming from a particular region.
Southcoaster747
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did supported progression and am confident I could get into my course at Durham, but as a local this just puts me off and its a shame for people like you who would genuinely like to mix with us
My sense is that it's just a minority, just a loud and annoying one, and I shouldn't let it put me off. It's also true that other universities have had similar issues. But Durham does seem to crop up again and again.

I think one big problem for me is that I haven't visited yet, and might not be able to at all prior to decision day, due to the pandemic. So I already have doubts about choosing somewhere I have never visited for a variety of reasons, and the behaviour issue is starting to look like one more risk too many.

I really hope I can get to visit by next spring, I think being there in person and seeing other potential students face to face would make me feel a lot more relaxed about it. (if I get an offer that is!)
Ray3RE
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Southcoaster747)
The question is not so much whether such behaviour exists at Durham - there have been enough reports now to see that it does - but how widespread it is. It's hard to say.

I hope I get an offer, and I'm pretty sure I'd accept if I did. But the general rep of the place does concern me.

I've chosen South College, partly because I figured a modern, self catering college might be less likely to be full of private school idiots pretending they're in a Harry Potter movie.

(ps I went to a private school so know all about them)
What course are you applying for?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Just a quick thing no one has pointed out - on the 7.8% from the North East front... I don't see why that is a problem as 2.7 million out of 66.7 million in the UK are from the North East (4.05%) meaning they are actually slightly overrepresented which is to be expected as it is people's local university but it does mean the 7.8% being local is not a problem.

Like does Oxford and Cambridge recruit local more than the rest? I don't think so.

As for the rest of it, I am outraged at any of these attitudes that persist; I was deeply shocked to read about the St Mary's homophobia incident and the 'pull the poorest girl' scandal - both of which have not been dealt with properly.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Like does Oxford and Cambridge recruit local more than the rest? I don't think so.
Do you have any figures for this? Just interested really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (571)
34.34%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (684)
41.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (333)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed