Allera
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
What are the best apps and courses to learn a new language and speak like a native?
Thank You
Cactus.554
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Duolingo is a classic option
Chinese skill does grammar early on which is good
I’d say if you want to learn eg just French go for an app that does JUST French if you can find one.
Allera
Rep:
?
I have tried Duolingo but I mainly learnt words but can't put it in a sentence and talk. Although I can read and write well. I'm doing German.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/la...uropean/german
Allera
Rep:
?
Thank You!
kristen_rose
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Duolingo is really good as well as Memrise and BBC bitesize

Good luck with learning a language!
Allera
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kristen_rose)
Duolingo is really good as well as Memrise and BBC bitesize

Good luck with learning a language!
Thank You
hootdoot04
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what languages are you interested in?
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To be honest, no single app will get you to fluency - it takes a long time and you'll get bored just using one source! Instead, try a couple of Optima for different elements - something like Duolingo or Rosetta stone can help with revising concepts and to keep the language ticking over on days when you don't have time to do anything else, but I also always listen to native-level as well as beginner podcasts and TV shows when I start a new language! You don't have to understand everything, but practicing licking our the words you know will help your vocab, accent, understanding and grammar all in one go! Most audiobook and podcast sites apps have options in multiple languages, so you should find something you enjoy listening to.
In terms of pure grammar and vocab, memrise and Quizlet are good for the latter whilst BBC bitesize, lawless French/ lawless Spanish, textbooks (try eBay and Abesbooks for cheap copies!) And similar are good for grammar. Personal, I prefer textbooks as I find it easier to go through and to use a basis for my learning each week.
For conversation, HelloTalk is really good, as long as you're aware of the need to maintain your boundaries in terms of online safety.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (520)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.54%

Watched Threads