The Student Room Group

applying for Computer Science at Oxford without Further mathematics

I'm currently doing year 12 at a school that doesn't teach A2 (doesn't have year 13), let alone A-Level further maths. So the subjects I'm taking this year are:
1- Mathematics AS
2- Computer Science AS
3- Physics AS

In year 13 (studying without a school), I'm planning on doing:
1- Mathematics A2
2- Computer Science A2
3- Physics A2

Do you recommend self-studying further maths?
And also do you think I should try and study a 4th AS subject (chemistry for example)?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'd only recommend it if you're sure you'll get a good grade. Oxford is very slightly lenient with Further Maths (unlike Imperial where it's pretty much required), and since your school doesn't offer it it may not be an instant rejection. In the MAT results report (especially the recent ones), they list how many people applied without Further Maths and got offers. In 2019 for example, 74 out of 1427 applied without Further Maths, and 'fewer than 3' were offered a place. However if self study and end up with an A, it might look even worse. They'll want an A* if you do decide to take it. Can you not find a school for Year 13? Self studying for a whole year in general sounds risky
Reply 2
Original post by *****deadness
I'd only recommend it if you're sure you'll get a good grade. Oxford is very slightly lenient with Further Maths (unlike Imperial where it's pretty much required), and since your school doesn't offer it it may not be an instant rejection. In the MAT results report (especially the recent ones), they list how many people applied without Further Maths and got offers. In 2019 for example, 74 out of 1427 applied without Further Maths, and 'fewer than 3' were offered a place. However if self study and end up with an A, it might look even worse. They'll want an A* if you do decide to take it. Can you not find a school for Year 13? Self studying for a whole year in general sounds risky

"However if self study and end up with an A, it might look even worse"
so does oxford expect more from me if I'm self-studying?
And no that's the only school in my country that teaches AS at least.
Original post by Sami-Marouf
"However if self study and end up with an A, it might look even worse"
so does oxford expect more from me if I'm self-studying?
And no that's the only school in my country that teaches AS at least.

Their website says you're only 'expected' to get an A, but unless you smash the MAT or have other redeeming factors, Oxford is competitive enough for people to have 4A*s/over 90% in the MAT to get rejected. If anything the fact that your country has no A2 schools will make them more lenient (contextual factors like these do make a difference), but when lots of other applicants have A*s in Further, your A might seem weak
Reply 4
Their website says you're only 'expected' to get an A, but unless you smash the MAT or have other redeeming factors, Oxford is competitive enough for people to have 4A*s/over 90% in the MAT to get rejected. If anything the fact that your country has no A2 schools will make them more lenient (contextual factors like these do make a difference), but when lots of other applicants have A*s in Further, your A might seem weak

if the entrance requirement is only A*AA with the A* in maths, Further maths or computer, don't you think that the "entrance requirement" is the same as the conditional offer?
I also found this:
"Statistics show that single A-level mathematicians are just as successful studying at Oxford as others"
Link: https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/how-apply/single-level
Reply 5

How about NOT taking Further maths at all since my school doesn't offer it?
Given that: "Statistics show that single A-level mathematicians are just as successful studying at Oxford as others"
Link: https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-her...y/single-level

And at the same time, getting A*AA in maths, physics and computer by self-studying year 13. And achieving AAA in AS maths, physics and computer this year.

and that: I start practising for MAT from now.

I have done so many extra-curricular activities over the years, that are related to computer science, these include:
1- representing my country in the World Robot Olympiad after dominating the national competition.
2- using Java, Python and C# to program some apps and games on mobile and pc.
3,4,5,6.....trust me they're many

out of 100%, what do you think are the chances of me getting accepted there?
Yeah Oxford follows standard offers more although you might have to ask them the exact details. I think they'll be more lenient since you don't have a school, but this can also break you if you don't do as well without a school.

That article says people doing single Maths do as well after they've been accepted, but Oxford isn't keen on taking that many in the first place.

I guess if they just want an A and you think you can get it, go for it! But since I assume you won't have many predicted grades (at the very least your school probably isn't predicting Further Maths), work harder on the MAT or they'll be reluctant to give you an interview/offer.

Quick Reply

Latest