Should I apply for DSA? Psoriasis and Depression

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve just heard about the DSA the government offers students. I’m not sure if my psoriasis would make me entitled to it.

My psoriasis is all over my body and in my scalp. It’s extremely itchy and at times, I just feel like ripping my skin off. This makes it incredibly hard to focus and stay calm. It’s especially worse when I get stressed, I just can’t help myself but itchy. My doctor has prescribed me with creams, gels etc. since I was about 10 (i’m 19 now) but nothing has ever worked well. They’ve also never said it’s ‘serious’ since i’ve managed (with difficulty) to cope and life with it.

I’ve found myself feeling awful for days on end for practically no reason. This has been the case for about a year now. I spend hours just sleeping because I really can’t bring myself to do anything during the day. I have no energy to go out of the house at time. The only things i can get done is my daily routine which has to go the same way each day or else i just cannot cope the rest of the day. It’s excessive but if certain things aren’t done a certain way, i’m extremely stressed out (which in turn makes me more itchy). I’ve never been diagnosed with depression, I don’t want to talk in detail to my GP about it either i don’t feel comfortable.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does your psoriasis and/or depression impact your ability to study? If yes, then you can apply. To get any support for the depression (if this is what you have) side of things you would need to speak to your GP as SFE/DSA won't give support with no evidence to back up your claim. As much as this may make you uncomfortable and might exacerbate your psoriasis, it is worth the short term increase in difficulty for long term support and improvement in your general wellbeing.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve just heard about the DSA the government offers students. I’m not sure if my psoriasis would make me entitled to it.

My psoriasis is all over my body and in my scalp. It’s extremely itchy and at times, I just feel like ripping my skin off. This makes it incredibly hard to focus and stay calm. It’s especially worse when I get stressed, I just can’t help myself but itchy. My doctor has prescribed me with creams, gels etc. since I was about 10 (i’m 19 now) but nothing has ever worked well. They’ve also never said it’s ‘serious’ since i’ve managed (with difficulty) to cope and life with it.

I’ve found myself feeling awful for days on end for practically no reason. This has been the case for about a year now. I spend hours just sleeping because I really can’t bring myself to do anything during the day. I have no energy to go out of the house at time. The only things i can get done is my daily routine which has to go the same way each day or else i just cannot cope the rest of the day. It’s excessive but if certain things aren’t done a certain way, i’m extremely stressed out (which in turn makes me more itchy). I’ve never been diagnosed with depression, I don’t want to talk in detail to my GP about it either i don’t feel comfortable.
Are you at University at the moment?

https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students...as/eligibility
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
Does your psoriasis and/or depression impact your ability to study? If yes, then you can apply. To get any support for the depression (if this is what you have) side of things you would need to speak to your GP as SFE/DSA won't give support with no evidence to back up your claim. As much as this may make you uncomfortable and might exacerbate your psoriasis, it is worth the short term increase in difficulty for long term support and improvement in your general wellbeing.
I do feel like it does impact my ability to study. And thank you! I shall make an appointment with my GP soon and discuss with them
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kerzen)
Are you at University at the moment?

https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students...as/eligibility
i am - thanks for the link.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do feel like it does impact my ability to study. And thank you! I shall make an appointment with my GP soon and discuss with them
Who deals with DSA at your University?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good to hear. It might be worth asking as well about therapy and stuff like that as it might help you better manage your MH problems as well. Chronic illness, like psoriasis, can do a number on your mental health, so it's really good to hear you're going to take this positive step.

If you need to talk, feel free to send me a message or quote me, I had DSA whilst at university for various reasons, so I might be able to help out.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kerzen)
Who deals with DSA at your University?
i presume it’s the disability services. i’m at the University of Leeds
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
Good to hear. It might be worth asking as well about therapy and stuff like that as it might help you better manage your MH problems as well. Chronic illness, like psoriasis, can do a number on your mental health, so it's really good to hear you're going to take this positive step.

If you need to talk, feel free to send me a message or quote me, I had DSA whilst at university for various reasons, so I might be able to help out.
I will do, I really do want to start feeling better so i’m glad i’m taking this step.
Thank you! if i do end up having anymore questions, i’ll send you a message
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i presume it’s the disability services. i’m at the University of Leeds
In that case, I would start with them. They help with the completion of applications for DSA. You could give them a call now.

https://students.leeds.ac.uk/contacts#10700-contact
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads