How hard/easy is it to get a job with an international relations degree?

Watch
hemdinho
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
can someone explain to me if it is easy or hard / and what do you have to do to be successful on the course?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’d say that if you’re really interested in the course, and work hard, read widely, get a 2:1, then you have a high chance of getting into an interesting job.

But that above advice applies to ‘any degree’ so for IR I’d further suggest having weird hobbies - travel to challenging places for tourism, North Korea(*), type places. Or Bolivia. Go in a travel group also to St. Petersburg, stay on a boat. Visit civil war places, Colonial Williamsburg, Gettysburg, Rwanda, Sarajevo, talk to people. Visit Den Haag, ICC, OPCW etc etc once we’re allowed to travel.

(*) mate of mine spent 3 months installing mobile phone masts for KJU and survived, he quite enjoyed it. Other friends just got as far as the DMZ, still enjoyed that.
hemdinho
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
I’d say that if you’re really interested in the course, and work hard, read widely, get a 2:1, then you have a high chance of getting into an interesting job.

But that above advice applies to ‘any degree’ so for IR I’d further suggest having weird hobbies - travel to challenging places for tourism, North Korea(*), type places. Or Bolivia. Go in a travel group also to St. Petersburg, stay on a boat. Visit civil war places, Colonial Williamsburg, Gettysburg, Rwanda, Sarajevo, talk to people. Visit Den Haag, ICC, OPCW etc etc once we’re allowed to travel.

(*) mate of mine spent 3 months installing mobile phone masts for KJU and survived, he quite enjoyed it. Other friends just got as far as the DMZ, still enjoyed that.
Great feedback. Have you completed the degree of international relations? if so, do you just read as much as you can and that's how you are able to get a top grade?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm in an international job, have been for years, but through engineering studies not IR; sometimes the job of an engineer is given diplomatic immunity and effectively consular official status - I do mix with international & NGO people and IR is often a reasonable way in, but sometimes they are looking for a specific STEM degree or languages degree.
There are always jobs in internal politics, as the knowledge of international situation, to whatever level of awareness, can be useful for work in Parliament/parties etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (520)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.54%

Watched Threads