Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hey!

I'm thinking of applying to the Foundation Priority Programme and was just hoping for some advice from students who were successful/currently on an FP programme.

I was looking at some in EBH and South Thames. I have an interest in Obs and Gynae, so was looking at placements that offered this as a rotation. There are a few rotations that offer Obs and Gynae in n EBH, but have a focus/theme of GP. I'm not sure if it's worth going for this?

I'm interested because it will provide some more continuity (being at the same hospital for both years), I will find out my placement earlier on in the year. The problem is i'm not interested in GP. Will it affect/lower my chances of getting into an Obs and Gynae training programme post F2, because my FPP was largely GP focused?

Or is it worth going for it? I wasn't sure if the 'GP focus" was minimal and therefore worth going for it anyway, particularly as it's an ideal place and rotation?

Thanks
Anonym20
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Sorry for the late answer! (Hopefully this will help future students). Not sure if this will help regarding how FPP will affect your chances of getting into core training programmes. For that, the best thing can be to look on the royal college guidelines, and tailor your CV/portfolio to their desired criteria. Some incentives offered by FPPs can help you gain points for applying to core training (things like PGcert etc). However I am currently on an FPP programme and would advise liaising with FPP contacts at the trusts you are thinking of applying to! The trainees will be able to let you know how well supported the programmes are/ if the trust is able to provide/protect the time necessary to complete whichever incentives they are offering. It can be nice to have continuity in one location, but if you have your heart set on one specialty, FPP may not be the best choice. (In my experience, FPP trainees aren’t allowed to swap placements). I think ultimately it comes down to how well the programme is provided within each individual trust, and whether the incentives will benefit you further along the line!
ejsl619
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, just wanted to ask if you ended up applying to EBH or South Thames for FPP? I'm also interested in O G and also in those areas, cos I've had placements there and its close to home. Thanks!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ejsl619)
Hello, just wanted to ask if you ended up applying to EBH or South Thames for FPP? I'm also interested in O G and also in those areas, cos I've had placements there and its close to home. Thanks!
I did, I applied, received and accepted an FPP place in EBH! It was my first choice too so very happy

If you're considering it, I'd definitely recommend to go for it - you have nothing to lose!

Lots of people seemed to apply this year, but I know of quite a few people who got an FPP offer, so definitely apply if you're interested.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (93)
28.18%
No (237)
71.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise