R77 – Ministerial Report from the Home Secretary – High-rise firefighting measures

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
R77 – Ministerial Report from the Home Secretary – High-rise firefighting measures

Ministerial Report: Home Office
Secretary of State: The Rt. Hon. Aph MP

High-rise firefighting measures: response to VM629

I would like to inform the House on the action the Government will take in as a result of the passing of VM629.

Minimum standards imposed
All fire services shall be required to purchase at least one aerial platform capable of reaching the tallest building in their area of responsibility.

If said building is taller than the highest aerial platform that can possibly be purchased, then the fire service in question must buy the tallest one they can.

Funding provided
Fire services will be entitled to funding from the Government for the purchase of these aerial platforms. The estimated cost of the initiative is between £50m and £200m, and this expenditure will come out of the budget for the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I approve of the response... even if it is another one that has missed the 28 day target.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
I approve of the response... even if it is another one that has missed the 28 day target.
What if the government deliberately missed the target to make the point that the target isn't there for the benefit of others to hold them to account for?
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
What if the government deliberately missed the target to make the point that the target isn't there for the benefit of others to hold them to account for?
If the government is that petulant and petty it says more about them than it does those wishing to hold them to account
Bailey14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thank the Home Secretary for bringing this forward. This is not something I object to and it has my support.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If the government is that petulant and petty it says more about them than it does those wishing to hold them to account
Hold them to account over what specifically?
Exterminate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot of the time people think height helps but in the case of big tower block fires sometimes these lifts may reach high enough but the heat intensity is too high and you can't go that close.

Can some fire services not share equipment? Rural areas for example.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Exterminate)
Can some fire services not share equipment? Rural areas for example.
I would imagine the issue there is getting it to the scene quickly. Lots of rural fire services serve large areas, and roads aren't always the best, so having to share resources and have them travel from a neighbouring service could mean they take a lot longer to get to the scene.
Exterminate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I would imagine the issue there is getting it to the scene quickly. Lots of rural fire services serve large areas, and roads aren't always the best, so having to share resources and have them travel from a neighbouring service could mean they take a lot longer to get to the scene.
What I'm saying is, is making each service buy a lift worth it? Especially the rural ones. My local fire service has one pumping appliance crewed by retained firefighters. There is no need to have an airlift, likewise with the other local fire services in the rural countryside.

There needs to be an urban/rural nuance in this and allowing some exceptions.

Although I have no idea what this really is, I just saw it on my sidebar so I may have come in all guns blazing and missed something.
Last edited by Exterminate; 1 month ago
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nothing less should be expected from such an idle government.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker, this statement has my full support.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And mine.
Exterminate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A very quick Google suggests that the highest Skylift is made from Bronto and is 367ft (as of 5 years ago anyway) this is no where near tall enough to reach the top of the Shard for example and at least the next 75 tallest buildings in the United Kingdom.

These tall tall buildings often don't need a lift because inbuilt fire defense and existing equipment is suitable.

I think this piece of whatever has a headline good vibe but is really unworkable and cost ineffective, it needs to be done on a case-by-case basis rather than making every fire authority by a massive lift when they may not need one.
Last edited by Exterminate; 1 month ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A very quick Google suggests that the highest Skylift is made from Bronto and is 367ft (as of 5 years ago anyway) this is no where near tall enough to reach the top of the Shard for example and at least the next 75 tallest buildings in the United Kingdom.

These tall tall buildings often don't know a lift because inbuilt fire defense and existing equipment is suitable.

I think this piece of whatever has a headline good vibe but is really unworkable and cost ineffective, it needs to be done on a case-by-case basis rather than making every fire authority by a massive lift when they may not need one.
Totally agree

Unfortunately, this piece of legislation has already been debated and voted on (here), this is just the government's response to it
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

These tall tall buildings often don't need a lift because inbuilt fire defense and existing equipment is suitable.

You raise good points on the topic, but as my colleague Theloniouss has said, the House asked for this and so this ministerial report is mostly a formality in order to give the House what it requires. It is however an item that the House will vote on, so by all means you could lobby people to change their minds and reject this initiative.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exterminate definitely raises some good points on this - that being said, it has my support still.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Totally agree

Unfortunately, this piece of legislation has already been debated and voted on (here), this is just the government's response to it
Except this is the prospective legislation, that was a motion. Or alternatively this is also not legislation and this is just another case of the government pretending to do something rather than writing the necessary legislation.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Except this is the prospective legislation, that was a motion. Or alternatively this is also not legislation and this is just another case of the government pretending to do something rather than writing the necessary legislation.
Yes, technically.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Yes, technically.
Also not technically, in no way is a motion legislation for anything other than best legislation according to silly people who don't know what legislation is.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (69)
26.95%
No - I have already returned home (28)
10.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
21.09%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
30.08%

Watched Threads