sreddy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’m a y12 student interested in pursuing a career in law. i got 10 9s at gcse and am doing bio chem rs german alevel (predicted a*)

i play piano, volunteer, dance, mentor, gold d of e; am in process of organising work experience for law; and will hopefully apply to uniq summer school at oxford for law
as well as reading etc before my personal statement

do i have a shot at getting into oxford?? and what else would i need (orher than good lnat)
are my alevels not suited to law?? - my biggest concern

thanks
username4793362
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why bio & chem?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Law does not require any specific subjects at Law - you could be doing 3 science or 3 art/music subjects, both would be fine, its just the high grades that are important.
sreddy
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Law does not require any specific subjects at Law - you could be doing 3 science or 3 art/music subjects, both would be fine, its just the high grades that are important.
thanks!! i recognise thats the case for law but i meant oxford in particular- since rs is a weak subject and my only essay subject
sreddy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tracheostenosis)
Why bio & chem?
i like them tbh - and idk if i want to do med or law, when i decide i’ll drop one!!
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sreddy)
i like them tbh - and idk if i want to do med or law, when i decide i’ll drop one!!
As ecolier always says

If your option is medicine or something else, do something else!
Last edited by username4793362; 1 month ago
sreddy
Rep:
?
As ecolier always says

If your option is medicine or something else, do something else!
i’m just concerned about the fact people who do law tend to take english and history- and i hated these subjects- maybe law isn’t for me??
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i’m just concerned about the fact people who do law tend to take english and history- and i hated these subjects- maybe law isn’t for me??
Then it isn’t
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Although it may seem like Law has no requirements, you’d need to have atleast some sort of passion for English / reading in general to be able to cope, but since you got a 9 in English Language? Maybe you could, who knows?
sreddy
Rep:
?
Although it may seem like Law has no requirements, you’d need to have atleast some sort of passion for English / reading in general to be able to cope, but since you got a 9 in English Language? Maybe you could, who knows?
it’s not reading i dislike- like i said, i take religious studies and i have no problem getting tuck into a good book about philosophy; i just disliked analysing books in english no clue why: i’m taking german where we study a book and film: i genuinely enjoy reading up on topics i enjoy! but tbh all uni degrees involve reading! i just meant me not liking english as a subject
sreddy
Rep:
?
are my subjects weak to get into law at oxford??
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
are my subjects weak to get into law at oxford??
Nah
sreddy
Rep:
?
Nah
thanks!! i genuinely thought not takign history or english would be a disadvantage
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thanks!! i genuinely thought not takign history or english would be a disadvantage
It wouldn’t but, taking biology or chemistry is harder than taking English
username4812684
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i’m a y12 student interested in pursuing a career in law. i got 10 9s at gcse and am doing bio chem rs german alevel (predicted a*)

i play piano, volunteer, dance, mentor, gold d of e; am in process of organising work experience for law; and will hopefully apply to uniq summer school at oxford for law
as well as reading etc before my personal statement

do i have a shot at getting into oxford?? and what else would i need (orher than good lnat)
are my alevels not suited to law?? - my biggest concern

thanks
Oxford Law student here. As long as you got History, Econ, Sociology, Politics, English lit among your subjects you are fine. I got in with 4A* (History, Econ, Sociology, Italian) and 35 in the LNAT. Reading and supercurriculars are way more important than volunteering, music and d of e, they simply don't care about extracurriculars at all. I suggest an EPQ about a law topic you are interested in. E.g. the 2020 Coronavirus Act. Good luck
sreddy
Rep:
?
(Original post by lancpe2002)
Oxford Law student here. As long as you got History, Econ, Sociology, Politics, English lit among your subjects you are fine. I got in with 4A* (History, Econ, Sociology, Italian) and 35 in the LNAT. Reading and supercurriculars are way more important than volunteering, music and d of e, they simply don't care about extracurriculars at all. I suggest an EPQ about a law topic you are interested in. E.g. the 2020 Coronavirus Act. Good luck
i dont take any of thise
sreddy
Rep:
?
It wouldn’t but, taking biology or chemistry is harder than taking English
haha i find them much much easier and would deffo get a better grade than in english
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
haha i find them much much easier and would deffo get a better grade than in english
Did you get a 9 in English Language?
sreddy
Rep:
?
Did you get a 9 in English Language?
yeah i got a 9 for all my subjects
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah i got a 9 for all my subjects
Definitely look into some law books, maybe experiment between medicine & law and see which you prefer. Chances are that you’d probably like medicine more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads