Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
My anxiety all through my school days and uni has been really bad (yes I’ve sought help numerous times it didn’t change much) as every time there’s bigger things that make me anxious. Partly it’s social/performance never feeling good enough, or insecure about saying dumb things or being disliked by others. I don’t have friends and find people aren’t that responsive to my friendliness.

I get super nervous when I have to talk or share my ideas. And dread it the day before. I always feel **** after classes and have considered dropping out every year of my education basically. What to do about this
bebsbobs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i feel exactly the same, i'm 23 and a third year student and have commuted to uni the entire time. I was too depressed to make friends or even talk the first year, i was better in second but didn't quite click with anyone, and now everything is online and i truly feel like i stand no chance.

To make it worse i just lost my one friend that i had, as previously i had no one for almost 3 years prior to us getting back together.

I wish i could give you some hope and inspiration, but i hope that you at least find comfort in the fact that you're not alone.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bebsbobs)
i feel exactly the same, i'm 23 and a third year student and have commuted to uni the entire time. I was too depressed to make friends or even talk the first year, i was better in second but didn't quite click with anyone, and now everything is online and i truly feel like i stand no chance.

To make it worse i just lost my one friend that i had, as previously i had no one for almost 3 years prior to us getting back together.

I wish i could give you some hope and inspiration, but i hope that you at least find comfort in the fact that you're not alone.
What happened with your friend?

I’m sorry to hear that it’s been very similar with me. I’m doing postgrad now. But after graduating undergrad I can tell you it will be a huge relief and you won’t feel stuck in that situation anymore. The thought of meeting totally new people may be less scary and more refreshing
bebsbobs
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What happened with your friend?

I’m sorry to hear that it’s been very similar with me. I’m doing postgrad now. But after graduating undergrad I can tell you it will be a huge relief and you won’t feel stuck in that situation anymore. The thought of meeting totally new people may be less scary and more refreshing
yeah i generally really hope i will flourish and meet people and get over my social anxiety and stuff. But it becomes so much harder when i'm going through my depressive episodes in which it feels like i can never climb out of this huge hole that i keep on finding myself in.

As for the friend situation, we got in a romantic relationship. They fell in love and i felt guilty for not feeling the same way even though i absolutely adore them in every way imaginable. I have too many identity issues (think im aromantic, or maybe they just weren't the one and i coulnt break that barrier?) and fears of commitment that i just wanted things to go back to just friends because that situation was already perfect for me and i had a lot of anxiety in entering the relationship in the first place. Well what do you know, it all comes back around... But now we are taking time away and i am devastated. I know time is needed for healing but it sucks to loose your entire support system in one moment.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
My anxiety all through my school days and uni has been really bad (yes I’ve sought help numerous times it didn’t change much) as every time there’s bigger things that make me anxious. Partly it’s social/performance never feeling good enough, or insecure about saying dumb things or being disliked by others. I don’t have friends and find people aren’t that responsive to my friendliness.

I get super nervous when I have to talk or share my ideas. And dread it the day before. I always feel **** after classes and have considered dropping out every year of my education basically. What to do about this
I think you need to grow up
bebsbobs
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i'm certainly waiting to, as well as for for things to magically be ok and i no longer fear people and talking to them. But something tells me there a little more to it than just "growing up"
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
i'm certainly waiting to, as well as for for things to magically be ok and i no longer fear people and talking to them. But something tells me there a little more to it than just "growing up"
Yes because op is at uni so is probably 18 plus and it’s time to act like it
Anonymous #1
Yes because op is at uni so is probably 18 plus and it’s time to act like it
Hahah thanks for the advice
Anonymous #1
yeah i generally really hope i will flourish and meet people and get over my social anxiety and stuff. But it becomes so much harder when i'm going through my depressive episodes in which it feels like i can never climb out of this huge hole that i keep on finding myself in.

As for the friend situation, we got in a romantic relationship. They fell in love and i felt guilty for not feeling the same way even though i absolutely adore them in every way imaginable. I have too many identity issues (think im aromantic, or maybe they just weren't the one and i coulnt break that barrier?) and fears of commitment that i just wanted things to go back to just friends because that situation was already perfect for me and i had a lot of anxiety in entering the relationship in the first place. Well what do you know, it all comes back around... But now we are taking time away and i am devastated. I know time is needed for healing but it sucks to loose your entire support system in one moment.
I think if you keep finding yourself in depressive episodes you need to seek support on ways to deal with that because they tend to reoccur. But once that is under control the anxiety tends to improve too. That's what I found

Sounds like you just weren't ready for that kind of relationship! While ur at uni you're still young and not everyone is ready to commit like that, and there are different types of love, yours was just a different kinds it sounds like. If someone's not right for you in that way you'll know it.. and if they are you'll know it too
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
Hahah thanks for the advice
I'm sorry op but welcome to reality. Honestly you need to get on with it, You are not incapable of growing up. Do you think anyone likes going through the misery of having bad days? Nobody does. You suck it up - because that's life. A strong sense of entitlement in your life is going to make you take offence to anything that isn't validation of your world view. So go ahead. Rather than learning something today - shirk your responsibily to grow up.
Anonymous #1
I'm sorry op but welcome to reality. Honestly you need to get on with it, You are not incapable of growing up. Do you think anyone likes going through the misery of having bad days? Nobody does. You suck it up - because that's life. A strong sense of entitlement in your life is going to make you take offence to anything that isn't validation of your world view. So go ahead. Rather than learning something today - shirk your responsibily to grow up.
I think you terribly over-simplify problems of depression and anxiety, as well as lack a lot of awareness of what causes these problems. 'welcome to reality', 'suck it up', 'grow up' and calling them a 'bad day' are among the most stereotypical and unhelpful responses the past century has seen to these problems. Entitlement here is also contradictory to low self esteem and confidence.

If it's not for you great, but be careful where you dispense ill-advice and judgement with those suffering with mental health problems. You don't come across as a 'reality check', but rather provocative and ignorant.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
I think you terribly over-simplify problems of depression and anxiety, as well as lack a lot of awareness of what causes these problems. 'welcome to reality', 'suck it up', 'grow up' and calling them a 'bad day' are among the most stereotypical and unhelpful responses the past century has seen to these problems. Entitlement here is also contradictory to low self esteem and confidence.

If it's not for you great, but be careful where you dispense ill-advice and judgement with those suffering with mental health problems. You don't come across as a 'reality check', but rather provocative and ignorant.
What are you going to do? Sit there and feel sorry for yourself or just get on with your life like a stable person?
bebsbobs
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think if you keep finding yourself in depressive episodes you need to seek support on ways to deal with that because they tend to reoccur. But once that is under control the anxiety tends to improve too. That's what I found

Sounds like you just weren't ready for that kind of relationship! While ur at uni you're still young and not everyone is ready to commit like that, and there are different types of love, yours was just a different kinds it sounds like. If someone's not right for you in that way you'll know it.. and if they are you'll know it too
yah for sure. I sad i always end up in the same place so will be on a real lookout for a therapist or maybe even medication.

Hope your situation is good too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (67)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.67%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.73%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.18%

Watched Threads