ChrisSim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm 14 and I'm looking for a job but don't know where I can work and what I can do, I've tryed newspaper rounds but nobody's hiring, just need to know where I can legally work and how much I can get paid.
Marfyy2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll struggle at 14 to be totally honest. There's quite a bit you could legally do, such as office or light retail work or work at hotels etc but most chains won't hire anyone under 16 because in lots of places under 16s need a child work permit, which is a lot of faff for a company when you can only work a maximum of 12 hours a week.
I first worked as a cleaner at 15 and had to get my school to sign a form to say that working wouldn't interfere with my education.

Independent hotels, b&bs etc would normally be good, but I can't imagine you will find anywhere hiring at the moment as the hospitality industry is on its arse because of covid.
You can't work in cafes and stuff because you have to be 16 to work somewhere with a kitchen I think. You can try shops but I imagine you've tried most independent shops already if you've been enquiring about paper rounds. There's no minimum wage for a 14yr old either, so I'm pretty sure they can pay you whatever they like.
ChrisSim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (675)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads