xxxdd
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is that a good idea? Maybe there are better ways? What do I do after finishing all the past papers?
xxxdd
Rep:
?
Anyone who's done the test could tell me how they prepared?
ameobi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do all the previous MAT papers, STEP questions could be useful, but makesure you stick to STEP 1 (2 & 3 will help develop skills but its a waste of time for mat) as thats the sort of stuff that may come up on MAT. I would definitely say focus on previous MAT though. Revise AS Maths concepts too as that is what will come up.
xxxdd
Rep:
?
(Original post by ameobi)
Do all the previous MAT papers, STEP questions could be useful, but makesure you stick to STEP 1 (2 & 3 will help develop skills but its a waste of time for mat) as thats the sort of stuff that may come up on MAT. I would definitely say focus on previous MAT though. Revise AS Maths concepts too as that is what will come up.
STEP is probably the only option. I've done Spec papers to 2011. I wanna save a couple for a few days before. In between, I need to somehow keep occupied. I just don't wanna drop this momentum lmao.
Last edited by xxxdd; 1 month ago
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Remember that MAT is a lot different in style to STEP I, significantly easier in places but not as much in others.

Generally doing any kind of problem solving is good, so go ahead.
xxxdd
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
Remember that MAT is a lot different in style to STEP I, significantly easier in places but not as much in others.

Generally doing any kind of problem solving is good, so go ahead.
How would you describe the two in terms of the questions they give?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by xxxdd)
How would you describe the two in terms of the questions they give?
I only sat STEP and never prepared for the MAT but I've written up solutions to a few MAT questions. From my limited exposure, MAT has more easy questions (the most A-level students could approach) but has questions that I personally don't like and could trip me up. (more geometry, combinatorics, and the such like) A lot of MAT questions were imo more straightforward than those you'd get in STEP. After all, unfair comparison - STEP being sat at the end of y13 and MAT being sat early in y13 with generally far less prep done.

If you're doing consistently well on STEP questions, I wouldn't say MAT should be a huge worry but you should definitely make sure you don't get caught out by any questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (711)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (895)
42.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.44%

Watched Threads