How badly would my GCSEs disadvantage me when applying to top unis such as Cambridge?

Watch
domm1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
At GCSE I 'achieved' 988887665, which I know is way below the bar in comparison to other applicants of universities such as Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc. However, I just wanted to know how badly set back I'd be in comparison to others who would most likely have at least 7A*s at GCSE?

Would these ruins my chances at creating a competitive application?
Last edited by domm1; 1 month ago
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends what type of school you went to, and how others performed in your school. Your GCSE results are contextualised to what secondary school / college etc you went to.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by domm1)
No.
domm1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
It depends what type of school you went to, and how others performed in your school. Your GCSE results are contextualised to what secondary school / college etc you went to.
I went to an 'academy converter' school, which contained 180 pupils in my year in which I placed within the top 10 in my year based on our GCSE grades (but don't know the exact position).

Is this good or?
MacsenT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by domm1)
At GCSE I 'achieved' 988887665, which I know is way below the bar in comparison to other applicants of universities such as Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc. However, I just wanted to know how badly set back I'd be in comparison to others who would most likely have at least 7A*s at GCSE?

Yeah the truth is that you will not be up to the same standard as other applicants, i am in a similar position, i only started to enjoy school and put any effort in at A level (A*A*A*A) but my gcses are poor 9997777765 and from what ive hear asking people about it (i am applying to physics at Oxford) it does depend on other parts of your application, for example i have to sit an entrance exam which gives me another opportunity to show what i can do. The way i see it is you have those grades and you cant do anything about it, if you are good enough for oxbridge then apply, and if you dont get in then thats that, dont spend too long worrying about all the minute details that you now have no control over and focus on the parts of your application that you can control.
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They’re definitely not bad, what subjects were the 5s and 6s in? If they’re relevant to the course you’re applying for, then it’s not ideal, but not a serious problem if you match the entry requirements and have good A level grades.
Last edited by Dancer2001; 1 month ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge care far less about GCSEs than Oxford. What percentage chance do you have if you don't apply?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Not actually true. Please ignore.
Chillman1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Actually, this is very much true, they openly state this on their website. Don't spread misinformation.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by domm1)
I went to an 'academy converter' school, which contained 180 pupils in my year in which I placed within the top 10 in my year based on our GCSE grades (but don't know the exact position).
Ignore the comment you were responding to - its not actually true.
Your GCSEs are fine - much more emphasis is put on A level predictions and PS by all Universities.
aaliyah519
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’ve just scared me now. I’m applying to Warwick for Law LLB this year with 88766555 gcse grades. Should I even bother?💀
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chillman1)
Actually, this is very much true, they openly state this on their website. Don't spread misinformation.
Please provide a link to the information you are referring to.
df1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements "Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aaliyah519)
You’ve just scared me now. I’m applying to Warwick for Law LLB this year with 88766555 gcse grades. Should I even bother?💀
If you were applying for Oxford then they would be detrimental, but since you are applying for Warwick I think you'll do just fine. These grades are decent. Just make sure your A Level grades are amazing, your personal statement, references, LNAT all that good stuff
domm1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dancer2001)
They’re definitely not bad, what subjects were the 5s and 6s in? If they’re relevant to the course you’re applying for, then it’s not ideal, but not a serious problem if you match the entry requirements and have good A level grades.
My highest grades were in Business - 9, Maths - 8, History - 8, Computer Science - 8, and Science - 8-7, my lowest being in both English Language and Literature - 6, and French - 5. For A-Levels I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History, so I have all A*-equivalent GCSEs in the subjects I've taken through to A-Level (Business having quite strong links to Economics as well as the obvious direct links between Maths and History). For undergraduate level I am considering either reading Economics, pure Maths, or Maths&Stats.

So luckily all subjects that have links to my A-Levels and potential degree course choice are all 'A*'.
domm1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Cambridge care far less about GCSEs than Oxford. What percentage chance do you have if you don't apply?
I'll be definitely applying to one of the two when the time comes around, most likely Cambridge in all honesty. I've been looking into their Economics course and Mathematics course; I've heard in general that Maths courses are more easy to be accepted into in comparison to Economics courses, would you argue this to be true?

Main thing that worries me is the apparent difficulty the Cambridge Mathematics course holds in comparison to Mathematics courses held at other top universities, do you think competition would be too fierce for me to stand a chance? Would Oxford's Maths&Stats course possibly be a better option to go with? Or would this not be a good idea considering the emphasis Oxford seem to hold on GCSE grades?
Last edited by domm1; 1 month ago
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
False. Why are you spreading lies and misinformation?

From Cambridge University Website:
GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.

From Oxford University Website:
However, we do look at GCSE grades in context. Where possible, tutors will be made aware of the overall GCSE performance of the school or college where you studied.
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
See above post. You need to make an explanation as to why you were spreading false information.
df1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
@/https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications @/https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.u k/applying/entrance-requirements
ashtolga23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Damn, I wasn't expecting those grades when I read the title! I really don't think they're worth what you think; that's a good set of grades.

As far as I know, Oxford are the main university who would look at grades. At a Cambridge open day I went to they said that they weren't too concerned because they realised there are many factors that could affect a student's GCSE grades, for instance if they come from a less affluent area, or even just if they were bored with the content. Oxbridge often say they want "nerds", so it's more about being good at your chosen subjects once you get to A-Level. They have no official GCSE requirements that would affect you, and from my knowledge they really don't play too big a role at all in their decisions.

Having said this, medicine is probably an exception to what I've just outlined.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads