Gardening

Watch
krx1994
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Have you ever done any gardening, food growing, horticulture or any similar nature-based activity?
Isinglass
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.
Isinglass
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Isinglass)
Yes.
Sorry, you probably meant a bit more than that?

I have an allotment. This year, tomatoes and cucumbers have done well, chillies and squashes quite well, potatoes and runner beans not so well. I got a cage for Christmas (a tubular metal frame with a fitted netting cover, don't get too excited), so for once, my kale and purple sprouting broccoli has proper protection from pigeons and the dreaded cabbage white, but I haven't started picking the kale yet and the broccoli isn't ready).

I also grow a few things in our small garden at home and in pots on the front doorstep (more tomatoes and cucumbers, some raspberries and pears, plus the beans have done better there).

DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did farming for a few years and was a gardener for a stately home one summer.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Spent a fair bit of time as a kid in the garden with my Grandad who was a senior palace & hospital gardener.

Came back to it years later and i've worked for the last 6/7 years in amenity horticulture (gardens and greenspace basically, not food) Went back to college and then Uni to do my City & Guilds Dip, HNC and HND in Horticulture, I;d be doing my degree year now but I deferred the hell out of that.

I had a large allotment for a few seasons but it did my tits in tbh, It's really for retired people and families. Also It got a big awkward when someone pointed out i'd inadvertently laid out my raised beds in a swastika

Oh yeah, and a conviction for growing pretty much the only plant you're not allowed to
bebsbobs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by krx1994)
Have you ever done any gardening, food growing, horticulture or any similar nature-based activity?
yes! We always try to grow tomatoes in the greenhouse. This year we started a bit late and grew them from seed from a random tomato in the kitchen. It was an absolute joy to watch little seedlings grow into huge tomato plants (i get great joy from bringing things to life apparently ahah). Unfortunately though our greenhouse is nothing special and the panels have been blown out by wind, so (most of) the tomatoes didn't finish ripening and we ended up picking them green as they were out in the cold and constant rain. Most of them will ripen i'm sure as they have in previous years, but some didn't get enough sun or maybe too much rain. But we still got A LOT of lovely tomatoes!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads