Can I do a subject for A level that I didn't do for GCSE

Watch
Frequency11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I am Stallon, I am in year 10 now. I did not get computer science for GCSE but got product design. I did not get computer science because of covid restrictions in classroom. The teacher said she will let me do it for A levels. But, I was wondering if I did not get computer science will I be able to do it for A'levels. Suppose I will go to another sixth form, because I heard to do it for A'levels I have to get grade 8 for gcse. Is it true?
Thanks a lot.
Bbubble061
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think it depends on the school. In some subjects you aren't required to have done it for GCSEs, but it's just ideal to. Just check with your school if they require you to have computer science to do it at a level.
The grades you need for it at a level also depend on the school (my previous school needed grade 7 for maths, but my current school only requires a grade 6).
InspiredPleb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bbubble061)
I think it depends on the school. In some subjects you aren't required to have done it for GCSEs, but it's just ideal to. Just check with your school if they require you to have computer science to do it at a level.
The grades you need for it at a level also depend on the school (my previous school needed grade 7 for maths, but my current school only requires a grade 6).
Yeah, think it depends. For the majority of colleges I looked at (and my current sixth form) you only needed a Maths GCSE as a minimum. Maybe it's just our college, but for doing CS specifically, doing the subject at GCSE didn't make you more ideal as long as you met the entry requirements.

e.g my college requirements were....
A minimum of 3 x 5’s and 2 x 4’s at GCSE including a Grade 5 in English Language, Grade 5 in Maths and a Grade 6 in Computer Science. (If you didn’t take Computer Science at GCSE you will require a Grade 6 in Maths).
Best bet? Research local colleges and find out their requirements. Should be on their website - if not, there should be contact info on there and you can send an email.
Last edited by InspiredPleb; 3 months ago
username5417586
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think it depends on where you’re applying for.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think all schools offer CS at GCSE level so sixth forms / collages have to take into consideration that factor.
Having experience in a subject will be helpful, but for some subjects like CS I imagine there is some leeway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (73)
16.63%
No one else does (138)
31.44%
I'm embarrassed about my background (48)
10.93%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (152)
34.62%
We don't use a video platform (7)
1.59%
I don't have a camera (10)
2.28%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (11)
2.51%

Watched Threads