Anonymous9795
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
An engineer is making a circular disc.
A model of the disc is drawn as a circle on a set of axes such that it passes
through coordinate points P (–1, –1), Q (5, k) and R(7, 3)
Given that angle PRQ is 90°, find the value of k and the area of the disc

I can’t figure out how to do this I drew a diagram and I don’t see a right angle could someone please show me how to do it
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anything about semicircles and right angles ring any bells?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous9795)

I can’t figure out how to do this I drew a diagram and I don’t see a right angle could someone please show me how to do it
If PRQ is 90 degrees, what is the scalar product of PR and RQ?
df1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

are you sure it is PRQ that is a right angle??
Anonymous9795
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
Anything about semicircles and right angles ring any bells?
Nope I’m a first year so haven’t done anything in a while the only thing I managed to come up with is (5,7) but that’s where I get confused about where the circle is on the graph I assumed that r was the midpoint and p was on the circumference but that would mean that (5,7) would just be along the diameter.
Anonymous9795
Rep:
?
(Original post by df1)
are you sure it is PRQ that is a right angle??
Yeah that’s what it says
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
Nope I’m a first year so haven’t done anything in a while the only thing I managed to come up with is (5,7) but that’s where I get confused about where the circle is on the graph I assumed that r was the midpoint and p was on the circumference but that would mean that (5,7) would just be along the diameter.
Agree with (5,7) as the position of Q. All of P,Q,R are on the circumference.

Since PRQ is a right angle, it follows that PQ is a diameter. Hence work out radius and area.
df1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I am uploading a link to my worked solution, this is how I would've done it, sorry the sketch is not the best. https://imgur.com/crl9ZeI
Anonymous9795
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Agree with (5,7) as the position of Q. All of P,Q,R are on the circumference.

Since PRQ is a right angle, it follows that PQ is a diameter. Hence work out radius and area.
Thanks for your help I got confused with where the circle was but now l understand
df1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your help I got confused with where the circle was but now l understand
@/https://imgur.com/crl9ZeI This is my worked solution and how I would do the question ignore the @/ and just copy and paste the link after ittt
Anonymous9795
Rep:
?
Name:  0D009113-091B-4341-9B2C-F3B1A8868F8A.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  106.9 KB
Thanks but I don’t think that q can be (5,10.75) because it wouldn’t be on the line perpendicular (y=-2x+17) to PR (y=0.5x+0.5) thus making PRQ not 90°
Attached files
df1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  0D009113-091B-4341-9B2C-F3B1A8868F8A.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  106.9 KB
Thanks but I don’t think that q can be (5,10.75) because it wouldn’t be on the line perpendicular (y=-2x+17) to PR (y=0.5x+0.5) thus making PRQ not 90°
yeah i guess that would make my answer wrong then, I can't think of another way to do it but I might have made a numerical or simplifying error somewhere so you could always retry it and be more careful than me and see if it gets an answer that works lol
df1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by df1)
yeah i guess that would make my answer wrong then, I can't think of another way to do it but I might have made a numerical or simplifying error somewhere so you could always retry it and be more careful than me and see if it gets an answer that works lol
actually you could try a method of simultaneous equations of the lines PR and QR to solve for K
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it was agreed above that Q is the point (5, 7) which you had already worked out for yourself.

So now you know the coordinates of all the points you can work out the diameter, and hence the radius, and hence the area as suggested earlier
Anonymous9795
Rep:
?
(Original post by df1)
actually you could try a method of simultaneous equations of the lines PR and QR to solve for K
I just substituted x=5 in to y=-2x+17 which gave me (5,7)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads