Anxious about moving away for uni

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So today I sent off my ucas application for my sixth form to approve... I am feeling really anxious about the choices section of it as all of them will require moving out. Ive been struggling with my mental health for a couple years now and in particular I have social anxiety and some eating issues where I can only eat certain food (Im currently in therapy for it). My worry is that I wont be able to cope with all the change, mixing with others, etc. However, the reason I want to move out is to get out an environment that is toxic for me and are what created most of these problems. The course I want to do is mental health nursing which has always been my dream. I'm just so afraid that I wont get better by next year especially with coronavirus.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So today I sent off my ucas application for my sixth form to approve... I am feeling really anxious about the choices section of it as all of them will require moving out. Ive been struggling with my mental health for a couple years now and in particular I have social anxiety and some eating issues where I can only eat certain food (Im currently in therapy for it). My worry is that I wont be able to cope with all the change, mixing with others, etc. However, the reason I want to move out is to get out an environment that is toxic for me and are what created most of these problems. The course I want to do is mental health nursing which has always been my dream. I'm just so afraid that I wont get better by next year especially with coronavirus.
It's really easy to think about the "what ifs" in a negative way. "What if I won't get better?" "What if I can't cope with the change?" Etc. But try flipping it on it's head. "What if I overcome all my problems?" "What if I do get better?" Humans naturally look towards the negative things, so try to make that conscious effort to think positively. If catch yourself thinking something negative about moving out, write it down. Then, immediately write the positive. So if you're worried about not making friends, write down that you'll meet lots of people which will give you lots of chances to make friends.

It might not be easy, but having that positive mindset will hopefully make the transition a little bit easier for you. There will also be support officers and counsellors at uni for you to talk to. There will be other students feeling the same as you so you won't be alone. It will probably take a few weeks of adjusting but you'll get there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (520)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.54%

Watched Threads