Mooh4
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone.
Actually there is something that worries me, which is getting a PhD acceptance in any UK universities, especially since the nature of my work is imperative for me to study for a PhD. I just finished my masters degree with merit. But unfortunately, there are some marks in the first semester under 50% and the dissertation score is 52%, but the overall rate is 63% ؜. My question is is it possible to get a PhD acceptance in a university? Note that I have full funding and I am supported by my government.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mooh4)
Hello everyone.
Actually there is something that worries me, which is getting a PhD acceptance in any UK universities, especially since the nature of my work is imperative for me to study for a PhD. I just finished my masters degree with merit. But unfortunately, there are some marks in the first semester under 50% and the dissertation score is 52%, but the overall rate is 63% ؜. My question is is it possible to get a PhD acceptance in a university? Note that I have full funding and I am supported by my government.
With full funding guaranteed by your home government it's very likely that you will get an offer from somewhere in the UK. However the lowish merit and low dissertation mark means that you are much less likely to get an offer from an elite institution. It will also depend on where that merit is from, UK universities will have an algorithm to convert most international degree awards into their "own units" before they decide whether to offer or not. Best of luck.
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mooh4)
Hello everyone.
So just to clarify, you are applying as an international student, with your government committed to fully fund your PhD?

I'd say your chances are reasonable, given my own experiences. I had several grades in the 50's and 40's during my bachelors and I'm currently doing a PhD at a Russell Group university. I'd say the main things that may limit your chances might be-are those modules you scored less well in linked to the subject you want to study? Do you have any reasons for your low dissertation score?

If you are worried, I always used to send my CV in my first letter to supervisors asking about projects-if I didn't meet their standards, they always let me know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (671)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (847)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads