ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have been advised by an adult education college that I can do functional skills levels one and two at no cost to me, but I am wondering if I would be better served by retaking G.C.S.E. maths at an F.E. college or paying a private tutor to teach me maths and resit as a private candidate?
Also is G.C.S.E. maths substantially more challenging than it was a decade ago?
Last edited by ROTL94; 5 months ago
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
gcse maths got a bit more difficult when the new spec was rolled out, but also lower grade boundaries, so hard to answer if its more challenging unless we know your educational background.
functional skills on the other hand is piss easy.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If you have dyscalculia I recommend taking functional skills maths. I failed math GCSE at school and got extra help in college. Lots of it.
Peanut2112
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
I have been advised by an adult education college that I can do functional skills levels one and two at no cost to me, but I am wondering if I would be better served by retaking G.C.S.E. maths at an F.E. college or paying a private tutor to teach me maths and resit as a private candidate?
Also is G.C.S.E. maths substantially more challenging than it was a decade ago?
I would say that it depends what your future plans are. I took functional skills, level 2 in maths, English and ICT and were told they were equivalent to GCSE 4/C. When looking at going to university to study an undergraduate course, I was told these aren't accepted!

My local college offers free GCSE English & Maths as an evening course to those that are 19+ and do not already have these GCSE's. May save time going straight for the GCSE if you are going to look into higher education.

Good luck!
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Peanut2112)
I would say that it depends what your future plans are. I took functional skills, level 2 in maths, English and ICT and were told they were equivalent to GCSE 4/C. When looking at going to university to study an undergraduate course, I was told these aren't accepted!

My local college offers free GCSE English & Maths as an evening course to those that are 19+ and do not already have these GCSE's. May save time going straight for the GCSE if you are going to look into higher education.

Good luck!
Thank you, I am already in HE, I'm just concerned that when I graduate employers won't be able to see past my low maths GCSE grade, which may sound a bit para but I have heard that this does happen.
Peanut2112
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Thank you, I am already in HE, I'm just concerned that when I graduate employers won't be able to see past my low maths GCSE grade, which may sound a bit para but I have heard that this does happen.
Ah, that is tricky! You would hope that completely HE would say a lot more about your abilities! Fingers crossed 🤞.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.63%
Uncertainty around my education (195)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (141)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (181)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (57)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.65%
Loneliness (112)
8.78%
Financial worries (45)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (117)
9.18%

Watched Threads