naya.more01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
ive got to choose my alevels soon and had an open evening today but all it did was confuse me even more :/
i originally thought I wanted to do maths, classical civilisations and psychology, but now I really dont know.
politics, history and economics are also something that interests and I feel so confused.
I enjoy my subjects equally and I know I can succeed at what I choose so any advice is welcome!

which of these a levels would allow me to keep my options open and I am not sure about what I want to study at uni and what were your opinions on them?

THANK YOU!

*all boards are AQA, apart from classical civilisations which is OCR*
Stephen59
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
First and foremost don't worry too much because once you're in sixth form you can change your subjects whenever you want, one of my friends dropped a subject and picked up a new one around December time. Maths is a really strong A level which many universities look for even if you're applying to non maths related courses such as economics, so taking maths will help to keep your options open. Most importantly use this year to come out with decent GCSE's as they are your priority, aim for a minimum of 7 in both maths and english language. I hope you found what you were looking for.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by naya.more01)
ive got to choose my alevels soon and had an open evening today but all it did was confuse me even more :/
i originally thought I wanted to do maths, classical civilisations and psychology, but now I really dont know.
politics, history and economics are also something that interests and I feel so confused.
I enjoy my subjects equally and I know I can succeed at what I choose so any advice is welcome!

which of these a levels would allow me to keep my options open and I am not sure about what I want to study at uni and what were your opinions on them?

THANK YOU!

*all boards are AQA, apart from classical civilisations which is OCR*
What grades are you predicted in maths and history plus your other subjects?
Stephen59
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m in year 13 now, but at this point in time when I was in yr11, I was predicted a 6 in maths and a 5 in English language. I didn’t do history but in geography I was predicted 7 and sciences were 7,6,4. I managed to pass all my subjects with 7 being the lowest I got.
naya.more01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im predicted 8s in English, Maths and History, but I haven't done the others at GCSE.
2childmum!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you will find that a lot of universities require maths A level for a degree in Economics (but not usually economics A-level)

Although you can usually change A levels early in year 12 not every sixth form will allow you to change later in the term, and sometimes courses are full. However, you don't have to decide for certain now - you could change your mind between now and results day, again, as long as the sixth form has places on the courses you want to change to.

Have you had a look at the A level specifications, which you can find on the websites, to see what is actually covered in each course?

Also you could look at a couple of uni websites at each of the subjects you think you might be interested in and see what A levels they require - that might help you pick the 3 which keeps the most doors open. You look as if you are doing well in your GCSEs, so you could look at a couple of the Russell Group unis (although there are other really good unis which don't belong to the Russell group) to give you some ideas.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by naya.more01)
Im predicted 8s in English, Maths and History, but I haven't done the others at GCSE.
Maths, Economics and History would keep lots of options open including Economics, PPE, History and Law.

If you prefer the Classical Civilisation syllabus at school you would still be eligible for lots of Ancient History degree courses or even joint courses in History & Ancient History at Exeter and other unis
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (487)
33.33%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (607)
41.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (299)
20.47%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.65%

Watched Threads